Key Issues ZS EV

dundee1961

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was trying to lock my car on door Zs Ev at the shops , i pressed button on door handle and the car kept beeping. Could not understand why as the doors were all closed . So then i decided to lock it by using the key . Locked fine . Went in and done my shopping .Returned to the car and i was telling mu husband what had happened re Key . He then informed me his coat was in the car and had our other car key in it .. so then the car was locked with a set of car keys inside .
Just to warn others that you can lock your car with your spare key inside.
Will not be doing that again someone could have drove it away .

I was trying to lock my car on door Zs Ev at the shops , i pressed button on door handle and the car kept beeping. Could not understand why as the doors were all closed . So then i decided to lock it by using the key . Locked fine . Went in and done my shopping .Returned to the car and i was telling mu husband what had happened re Key . He then informed me his coat was in the car and had our other car key in it .. so then the car was locked with a set of car keys inside .
I think the fact that the car knew you had a key outside the car it allowed you to lock it with the key. When you tried to lock it using the door button it knew there was a key inside so wouldn’t let you. All sounds normal to me.

Seems like a very niche scenario in which for some reason you happened to have both keys on you at the same time which isn't recommended anyway for safety reasons that if you lose them you lose both

Someone could only have driven it away if they had a key to unlock it, whether there was a key inside or not. 🙄

There is a button on my new Trophy on the centre console beside the P parking button. Its labelled A. It looks like the stop start button on my previous petrol cars, but it doesn't seem to do anything on this ev. I haven't yet scoured every page of the manual, but am I missing something?
Also, the speech button on the steering wheel does nothing. Is it only activated on the connect model?

There is a button on my new Trophy on the centre console beside the P parking button. Its labelled A. It looks like the stop start button on my previous petrol cars, but it doesn't seem to do anything on this ev. I haven't yet scoured every page of the manual, but am I missing something?
Also, the speech button on the steering wheel does nothing. Is it only activated on the connect model?
Wrong thread.

But...This is for the autohold feature. When enabled the car will keep the car stopped until you apply throttle.

When active, the Parking brake telltale will be on, but green instead of red.

A bit like hillstart assist, but this works no matter if on a hill or not.

Prevents the car from creeping forward, like on a normal automatic gearbox car.

Check page 201 of the manual. Sounds like Auto hold

The car speech features are only available on the Connect version. On the Connect version, if you hold a long press on the button it activates the phone voice interfaces not sure if this works for the non-Connect versions.

The car speech features are only available on the Connect version. On the Connect version, if you hold a long press on the button it activates the phone voice interfaces not sure if this works for the non-Connect versions.
On the mk1 with a phone connected (& running Android auto in my case) the speech button starts a "hey Google" session on the media screen. You can have messages read out, dictate messages & send, or just ask it the time....

That is very normal. If the car detects "any" of the keys are inside you won't be able to use the comfort locks on the handle. but if the car detects a lock signal coming from outside the car, it will lock the vehicle whether it detects a key inside or not, essentially when you have a key inside the vehicle, the comfort locks on the handles are disabled and only the key will lock/unlock the car... this is very standard for a car with comfort access (lock/unlock via door handles).

Seems like a very niche scenario in which for some reason you happened to have both keys on you at the same time which isn't recommended anyway for safety reasons that if you lose them you lose both
If My wife and I are travelling on the same car we will both have a key with us. I f we head off to different shops we pop back to the car to drop things off so definitely need both keys in car at same time

I think it only affects the keys in the car when trying to lock so in this case you should be fine my jeep does the same

It's worth repeating and then testing after cars' locked and the external key is out if range whether pressing the the door handle button unlocks the car (due to the internal car).

On the mk1 with a phone connected (& running Android auto in my case) the speech button starts a "hey Google" session on the media screen. You can have messages read out, dictate messages & send, or just ask it the time....
On the mk2 connect version a short press of the voice button opens your phone's voice assistant (Google assistant or Siri etc.) a long press loads MG voice for the connect features.

Just as a side issue, if you lock the car (mk1) with the fob, and stay within range, the boot stays open. The boot only locks when you walk out of range. Now I use a Faraday pouch to protect my key signal, so to check my boot is locked, I place the fob into the pouch and then then test the boot release - locked. It’s also a good test that the pouch is still working as over time the protective lining can deteriorate and let through the signal
A bit paranoid I know, but I once parked my old car (no keyless entry) on my drive and forgot to lock it. Some ratbag rifled through my glove box and stole my very old Tom-Tom sat-nav and my service book…one of life’s lessons I’spose…

If My wife and I are travelling on the same car we will both have a key with us. I f we head off to different shops we pop back to the car to drop things off so definitely need both keys in car at same time
But I assume you don't lock your wife in a car so this isn't really the same issue...

Just as a side issue, if you lock the car (mk1) with the fob, and stay within range, the boot stays open. The boot only locks when you walk out of range. Now I use a Faraday pouch to protect my key signal, so to check my boot is locked, I place the fob into the pouch and then then test the boot release - locked. It’s also a good test that the pouch is still working as over time the protective lining can deteriorate and let through the signal
A bit paranoid I know, but I once parked my old car (no keyless entry) on my drive and forgot to lock it. Some ratbag rifled through my glove box and stole my very old Tom-Tom sat-nav and my service book…one of life’s lessons I’spose…
"Within range" means standing right next to the boot on mine.

still trying to wrap my head around why someone would steal a service book :ROFLMAO:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom