Keyless didaster - almost!

Johnny 5 is alive

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Today I found what I would describe as a fundamental fault with the keyless ignition system. I dropped my wife in town, then drove into the country to walk the dogs.
Just as I was about to switch off, I glanced down for the keys only to realise they were in my wife's handbag - yet it had let me drive 10 miles without the key in the car 😐
Had I switched off first, I'd have been stranded.
My Outlander pings a "key not detected" warning if the key is so much as outside car - how come the MG5 doesn't?
Has anyone else noticed this? Is it an oversight by the designers or a fault with my particular car?
Stranded with 3 dogs 10 miles from my wife and 15 miles from home (where the spare key was) would have been a big problem!

My Nissan Leaf is exactly the same in sounding a very annoying warning if the key is removed from the vehicle. My MG 5 has not yet arrived so I don't know if it's a fault with yours- I would find it strange if there isn't a warning, but then again I find it strange that there is still no charging timer....

We did a similar thing. Was driving to my mother in laws to swap cars with my wife, jumped out she jumpin but luckily only got the the corner of the road and then realised I had the keys.
We try and check now😅

I keep my key clipped to my belt, that way I cannot leave it or lose it.

Pretty sure there is a setting, I saw it as I was looking for Bar to psi. It had a option to turn a chime on or off I think.

It is the same in a lot of VAG models.
It is possible to drive from one end of the country to the other and back, without the key !.
As long as you don't turn off the car at the half way point !.

It's the same with all keyless start cars, although most do give a warning (usually a single bong on my ZS).
They can't have it switch off when the key isn't detected or it would be dangerous.
Imagine blasting down the motorway and the key fob battery happens to run out, you wouldn't want the car to switch off would you ?

on ZS, i sometimes get a picture of the remote key on the dashboard display, with a message like "key not detected" or similar. but its inconsistent.
Get that in my 5 as well when standing beside it. Probably the key battery is not very good.

My standard range MG5 definately beeps and says smartkey not detected if its outside of the car and I don't think it would let me drive off however I've not tried driving, leaving the key, throwing it out of the window or giving it to someone and then continuing to drive.

It's a scary thought that it allows you to drive off without keys. What if the key is in your pocket, someone stops you, opens your door, kicks you out then steals your car with your child in the back?

My standard range MG5 definately beeps and says smartkey not detected if its outside of the car and I don't think it would let me drive off however I've not tried driving, leaving the key, throwing it out of the window or giving it to someone and then continuing to drive.

It's a scary thought that it allows you to drive off without keys. What if the key is in your pocket, someone stops you, opens your door, kicks you out then steals your car with your child in the back?
See my explanation in post #8 above. :)

Para A - just put the keys in a Faraday pouch. :)
Would your scary thought be any different in a car with the key in the ignition?

Para A - just put the keys in a Faraday pouch. :)
Would your scary thought be any different in a car with the key in the ignition?
If someone wanted to steal my car atleast I could take the key out and either throw it or run away with it giving me enough time to get my child out the back

See my explanation in post #8 above. :)
But in my scenario you've stopped, or atleast under 5mph. If someone steals your car with your child in the back you don't want them driving off. Yes on the motorway that's another story but no one could steal your car with child in at 70mph unless they were spider or superman.

But in my scenario you've stopped, or atleast under 5mph. If someone steals your car with your child in the back you don't want them driving off. Yes on the motorway that's another story but no one could steal your car with child in at 70mph unless they were spider or superman.
But (1) your doors would be locked in your scenario, so they wouldn't be able to open the door to steal the car and (2) it's quicker to press the start button and turn the car off than it is to turn the keys in the ignition to turn the car off and remove them.
Another good reason keep your keys in your pocket rather than in the cup holder or in a hand bag on the seat etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom