Keyless entry - options?

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
still waiting for my delivery so apologies again if stupid questions (LR exclusive on order which has keyless entry)

I've never had keyless entry and wouldn't have chosen it (but I wanted the exclusive other options) due to the general security concerns, never seen the hardship of pressing one button that hard to unlock my current car 🤣

So my question is, can it be disabled? (I assume not)

If it can't, does anyone used blocking pouches or similar for your keys?

I bought a Faraday pouch but with my other keys it's hard to fit in.
I bought what looks like a tin case from aldi, i put the keys in when at home.

Last edited:
I have used Faraday pouches bought off eBay for several years, having had several cars with keyless entry. Now second nature to use them.

I bought a Faraday pouch but with my other keys it's hard to fit in.
I bought what looks like a tin case from aldi, i put the keys in when at home.
Buy a phone signal blocking pouch, they're bigger. (y)

I hear all the chat about the potential vulnerabilities of keyless. However, I’m not sure if anyone has ever stolen an MG EV - has anyone had a theft? Thieves that operate in this way target your Audi S’s and other make sports models not our lowly MG’s. I’m really not concerned about having my MG stolen - most thieves wouldn’t look twice at the car and opportunists wouldn’t know where to start. ps. Not leaving valuables in your car and nothing on show is still very sensible - as it is in any car.

Does keyless always work, or can it be disabled temporarily on the car? My current car only unlocks keylessly if it was locked that way. If you use the button on the key to lock it, it turns off keyless and needs another button press (or, god forbid, an actual key in the door!) to unlock next time.

It is proximity based though - you just walk away and it locks. I can see me repeatedly leaving the 5 unlocked for the first few weeks if you have to press the door button to lock it.

Yes, I must admit I have been used to walk away locking and have forgotten when I first had the MG.

The ZS has automatic relocking whereby if you unlock the car and do not open the doors it will relock itself after a short time - is that what you mean on the MG5?

I hear all the chat about the potential vulnerabilities of keyless. However, I’m not sure if anyone has ever stolen an MG EV - has anyone had a theft? Thieves that operate in this way target your Audi S’s and other make sports models not our lowly MG’s. I’m really not concerned about having my MG stolen - most thieves wouldn’t look twice at the car and opportunists wouldn’t know where to start. ps. Not leaving valuables in your car and nothing on show is still very sensible - as it is in any car.
I had the same opinion with the Prius, but I still used the Faraday pouches and even turned off keyless entry on the spare key. I was surprised it can't be turned off on the ZS keys.

Does keyless always work, or can it be disabled temporarily on the car? My current car only unlocks keylessly if it was locked that way. If you use the button on the key to lock it, it turns off keyless and needs another button press (or, god forbid, an actual key in the door!) to unlock next time.

It is proximity based though - you just walk away and it locks. I can see me repeatedly leaving the 5 unlocked for the first few weeks if you have to press the door button to lock it.
Renault by chance? I loved the way I could walk away from my Laguna and it would lock itself when the key was out of range. Made it even easier and more convenient. But the person who designed the key card needs sacking.

Renault by chance? I loved the way I could walk away from my Laguna and it would lock itself when the key was out of range. Made it even easier and more convenient. But the person who designed the key card needs sacking.
I believe a lot of the Renault models operate like this.
The Clio has the same self locking / unlocking facility when you approach / walk away from the car.
I think this is a good safety feature, as the car will lock / unlock automatically.
But you are right, the key card design is just absolutely hideous.

When you get two faraday pouches one for each key do test they work by going up the car with a key in the pouch and try to open the car so you know it works. Still keep the away from front door e.g One other thing I do now is take the pouch out with me and when I locked the car put it straight in to the pouch in my pocket. Treat like you bank cards so no one brush by you and read the key.

One thing I noticed is that when the car was locked and I opened the boot and then accidently left the key in the boot, the boot wouldn't shut and the door kept popping out, I thought something must be wrong with the boot lock to then realise the key was inside. That's good thinking by the designers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom