Keyless entry - options?

I hear all the chat about the potential vulnerabilities of keyless. However, I’m not sure if anyone has ever stolen an MG EV - has anyone had a theft? Thieves that operate in this way target your Audi S’s and other make sports models not our lowly MG’s. I’m really not concerned about having my MG stolen - most thieves wouldn’t look twice at the car and opportunists wouldn’t know where to start. ps. Not leaving valuables in your car and nothing on show is still very sensible - as it is in any car.
There have Nissan Leafs stolen this way.

I’ll be using a steering wheel lock when I get the car on Wednesday.

Have used one on the old Mondeo estate for years, I’m convinced it stops the opportunist even bothering.

Fingers crossed the same will apply to the MG… 🤞🏻👍🏻🤞🏻

Andy

We didn't want the exclusive purely because of the keyless entry. My wife works for an insurer and is paranoid by the theft stats. It used to be high end cars but as the keyless entry tech is working it's way to lower end models so are the thieves.

I suspect that in a few years the EV battery may become the 'new catalytic converter' with cars stolen and recovered minus their battery.

We didn't want the exclusive purely because of the keyless entry. My wife works for an insurer and is paranoid by the theft stats. It used to be high end cars but as the keyless entry tech is working it's way to lower end models so are the thieves.

I suspect that in a few years the EV battery may become the 'new catalytic converter' with cars stolen and recovered minus their battery.
We just have a little tin that we keep the keys in when we're at home. If I'm stood right next to the car with the keys in the tin it doesn't see them. (make sure you test it - the first tin we pulled out of a cupboard didn't work.)

As long you take steps like keep key in a pouch ( both sets ) keep them away from doors and windows you will be taken all the steps at home, i keep my set I use upstairs at night. One thing I do is to put a steering wheel lock on at night. Also when I park up check no one is near me when I lock the car and the key go’s straight in to the pouch.

Thing is they are not stolen to joyride, they are normally broken down for parts to repair legitimate salvaged cars. Granted I have not seen an mg pop up on Facebook being stolen, just think it’s worth taking some precautions….. especially in the West Midlands 😂

Thing is they are not stolen to joyride, they are normally broken down for parts to repair legitimate salvaged cars. Granted I have not seen an mg pop up on Facebook being stolen, just think it’s worth taking some precautions….. especially in the West Midlands 😂
They probably use the mg5 to creep up silently to nick a bmw/audi etc😁

Someone did post a video from their ring doorbell of someone giving it a go. Not sure if that was here or the MG owners facebook group. They got it unlocked and disconnected the charger, but couldn't put it into 'Ready'.

My keys are kept about 4 meters from front door - what’s the range of key capturing devices? And driveway gates have an Oxford HD Max motorcycle disk lock keeping them closed - noisy hardware needed to remove that.

Physical security is always a good deterrent. Whether stealing wheel lock, as mentioned above, or closing, and ideally locking, driveway gates if you have them. Send them next door 🤷‍♂️

My ZS will only unlock with the smart key if I'm stood right next to the door, seems to be about a foot range, if I stand a bit towards the rear door to open the front it doesn't work. Same with the hatch.

Is there really an issue with EV’s being stolen? I thought thefts were at an all time low. As far as stealing battery packs - well it’s a dangerous business unless you know what you’re doing and is there really a market? I really don’t see thieves targeting any of the MG EV’s and keyless entry is perfectly safe and secure if used properly.

Problem with keyless entry is it requires us to take precautions with the keys that we aren't used to taking and therefore it's easy to forget.

To me it's a big step backwards in security if we have to start resorting to additional physical devices like we did in the 80s but I think the insurance industry will force the issue sooner or later as theft levels are rising quite quickly.

Not sure what theft rates are for EVs but I do think they will become more of a target in coming years as demand grows for replacement batteries.

This is quite a good article on car thefts and talks a little about keyless entry Why are car thefts still on the rise? | Autocar

Last edited:
Spot on, the chances are slim anyone we will see these go missing, its just worth taking some precautions. Only this week we had someone down our street have a group of lads rock up at 10:30 and try an initiate a relay theft on a keyless car. thankfully they couldnt get it started, it just makes you think.

Are you able to share the theft stats relating to keyless entry That your wife is paranoid about?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom