Keys locked inside car - not smart!

JohnMG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Managed to lock myself out of the car today by accidentally leaving the key in my golf bag. Opened the electric tailgate, loaded the bag into the boot and closed the tailgate. I assumed the car was smart enough not to lock with a key inside (since I'm clearly not that smart) but I was wrong. Beware, and don't make the same assumption!

Managed to lock myself out of the car today by accidentally leaving the key in my golf bag. Opened the electric tailgate, loaded the bag into the boot and closed the tailgate. I assumed the car was smart enough not to lock with a key inside (since I'm clearly not that smart) but I was wrong. Beware, and don't make the same assumption!
A video on the MG4 demonstrates that the car will not shut with the key inside. However, it does not mention that this will not be true if the key is in a Faraday cage, that is surrounded by metal. I suspect your metal golf clubs acted as a Faraday cage.

I doubt that, the golf bag is made of vinyl and was stored in boot, actually with the key in a pocket near the top of the bag which was protruding into the passenger compartment through the lowered rear seat. Is the MG4 smarter than the HS?

So, I did the obvious test and left keys inside the HS to see if the car would lock. It would not, so Grriff, it looks like your Faraday cage theory is correct! Surprising, since the key was not buried in the depths of the golf bag or surrounded by the golf clubs. So everyone, beware the Faraday cage effect!

My ZS TC LR refuse to lock when I left key fob in boot. I can take key out and lock the car. Open boot, throw key fob in boot, then close the boot. Boot will unlock itself after it is closed.
According ZS manual, key will get disabled if the key is locked inside but I failed to achieve this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom