Knocking from the dash

founny1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just done just over 500 miles. And now there's a knock coming from the left hand side of the dash board somewhere.
Any body else have this issue?

What sort of knock? Is it like a tapping or vibration sound? (Could be air vents behind the glovebox rattling against the surrounds - felt padding cures these sorts of noises).

And noises have a habit of being deceitful as to their source ... e.g. it could as easily be sunglasses rattling in the overhead holder. :)

More a knock than a rattle. More pronounced when going over a bump. Sounds like it's in the dash.
I've taken everything out of the glove box. Moved all the vents. Looked under the bonnet. Nothing loose.

I had a knocking over bumps at low speeds, it was hard to determine where from whilst driving (pulled out glove box, did the air vents etc) but using passengers narrowed it down to the interior light section. It was a bit loose and with fingers you could push the section up easily and it would drop. So.. I pulled the whole thing off and behind I place a complete car wash sponge (dry before anyone's hair stands on end) and replaced the section. That provides enough downward springy 'push' to keep it in place. Knocking cured.
Not saying that's your issue, but worth a look.

What sort of knock? Is it like a tapping or vibration sound? (Could be air vents behind the glovebox rattling against the surrounds - felt padding cures these sorts of noises).

And noises have a habit of being deceitful as to their source ... e.g. it could as easily be sunglasses rattling in the overhead holder. :)
You were correct it was the glasses. That's why your the 'Guru'. Thanks

I had the same thing. No rattle driving home from the dealer, then suddenly a rattle appeared. I thought it was coming from the glove box. Someone on the forum suggested sunglasses, and it was. Saved me a trip back to the dealer and then a red face.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back