Lack of MG ZS EV updates in Ireland.

Ngall

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi All,
I'm a new owner here in Ireland, and MG is very new here also. As a consequence, they do seem to be behind other countries when it comes to MG Ireland's and the dealer network's awareness of the various updates available for the car. I have read up a lot thanks to this wonderful forum and I am indebted to the thai app development and the discussion around that, which helped me understand that my new car's BMS Update was dated June/July 2020 according to the number coming up on the thai app. I contacted my dealer aftersales and was faced with a lot of blocks, saying that the bms update is not available and that if it was, I would need to pay for it as its not "critical" as they stated. I argued that the battery was the most critical part of the car but I figure I'm being fobbed off by the dealer and indirectly by MG Ireland also. I would really like the January BMS update even though I don't have the bad BMS as I have read that it makes important changes to the top and bottom limits of the battery to give the battery a better shelf life. I've also read that the rapid charging curve is greatly improved which is important here as we are not blessed with as many rapid chargers here in Ireland so when you get to one you want to make sure it's working well with the car. I'm also hearing of great summer ranges which I don' think I am getting with my BMS setup even in the warm weather. Sorry for the long intro, my question is do you think I need the January BMS update as a matter of urgency? And do you think that I would have any issues getting the update if I travelled up to a Northern Ireland dealer, and do any of you know of any dealer they would recommend in Nth Ireland?

Hi Ngall - there's been much discussion re updating to the latest BMS and I can only offer my tuppence worth!

I have the original BMS (displays 456V when fully charged) but everything works (i.e. I can charge whether locked or unlocked, and it works with my Pod Point charger on a timed charge). Apparently, the main 'fault' with this BMS is that it takes longer to balance but I leave it overnight when charging anyway, so I don't have an issue with this. Therefore, if it ain't broke...leave it alone! :)

Sorry, but I haven't a clue about your dealerships but why not give them a call if you're worried?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Ngall - there's been much discussion re updating to the latest BMS and I can only offer my tuppence worth!

I have the original BMS (displays 456V when fully charged) but everything works (i.e. I can charge whether locked or unlocked, and it works with my Pod Point charger on a timed charge). Apparently, the main 'fault' with this BMS is that it takes longer to balance but I leave it overnight when charging anyway, so I don't have an issue with this. Therefore, if it ain't broke...leave it alone! :)

Sorry, but I haven't a clue about your dealerships but why not give them a call if you're worried?

Cheers

Bloggsy
@bloggsy. Thanks for your advice. I think mine is working ok too but just thinking of long term as one YouTube video I watched suggested that possibly the upper and lower limits of the battery were changed in January update due to some issue found that impacted the longevity of the battery life over time. Its an assumption I'm sure but alerted me to the fact that I should keep the car up to date if possible and I don't think it is asking too much of the dealers here in Ireland to provide updates that the rest of Europe are getting.
Yes RE the dealerships yes I rang the aftersales folks at my dealership before posting here and they were the ones fobbing me off and also said there was no MG Ireland help desk at present but that I could email them. I haven't emailed them yet to be honest but I might do just to get the official word. I'm really hoping northern Ireland dealers are more clued in than here in the south. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Really appreciate.

I think you'll find that dealer knowledge is very poor - in most cases the knowledge on here far exceeds that in dealerships!

For BMS updates try SS Logan's. Since you did not buy your car from them they would charge for the update which is BMS 0210622EU1. My car has been serviced and updated by them. They are very experienced and have provided excellent service. My car had the bad BMS they updated the software and rebalanced the battery before returning the car to me. I now get 187 miles on Eco mode. Ask for Jonathan the owner he can help you out.

S. S. Logan & Son Ltd Est 1935
450-456 Shore Road, Whiteabbey, Newtownabbey, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT37 0AA

Tel: 028 9086 3229

IMG_20210531_163814.jpg
Screenshot_2021-05-15-23-37-39-750_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Last edited:
For BMS updates try SS Logan's. Since you did not buy your car from them they would charge for the update which is BMS 0210622EU1. My car has been serviced and updated by them. They are very experienced and have provided excellent service. My car had the bad BMS they updated the software and rebalanced the battery before returning the car to me. I now get 187 miles on Eco mode. Ask for Jonathan the owner he can help you out.

S. S. Logan & Son Ltd Est 1935
450-456 Shore Road, Whiteabbey, Newtownabbey, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT37 0AA

Tel: 028 9086 3229

View attachment 3525View attachment 3527
Thanks so much Dr Dave for the recommendation. I will definitely give them a call to get a quote. I don't mind paying if it improves the battery that little bit more. 😊. Just for future knowledge I'm assuming that all updates are given free of charge in Uk? My dealer aftersales person was making out that I would need to pay for anything other than safety updates. I'm not sure what she meant by this and what qualifies as a safety one as categories I have read about so far have been BMS and comfort etc. She was mixing up her terms as she said BMS update would be classified as a comfort update and not related to safety so if it became available in future I would need to pay for it. I hope there are not too many future updates as I really don't want to have this conversation with them too often 😂

Just for future knowledge I'm assuming that all updates are given free of charge in Uk? My dealer aftersales person was making out that I would need to pay for anything other than safety updates. I'm not sure what she meant by this and what qualifies as a safety one as categories I have read about so far have been BMS and comfort etc. She was mixing up her terms as she said BMS update would be classified as a comfort update and not related to safety so if it became available in future I would need to pay for it. I hope there are not too many future updates as I really don't want to have this conversation with them too often 😂
Hi,

Hope that you sort your car soon.

No, not all s/w updates/upgrades are free. Some are classed as 'system enhancement' which are payable. I recently asked to update the EVCC so that I can charge on AC unlocked, cost £60. I have asked the dealer what else is a 'system enhancement'. Still waiting for an answer.

The BMS update is not a 'system enhancement' so it should be free.

Hi,

Hope that you sort your car soon.

No, not all s/w updates/upgrades are free. Some are classed as 'system enhancement' which are payable. I recently asked to update the EVCC so that I can charge on AC unlocked, cost £60. I have asked the dealer what else is a 'system enhancement'. Still waiting for an answer.

The BMS update is not a 'system enhancement' so it should be free.
How do you know the BMS update is not a 'system enhancement' if you are still waiting for an answer? It was part of the comfort 2 software update which was chargeable by dealerships. (If you bought the car from the dealership they quite often did not charge).

@bloggsy. Thanks for your advice. I think mine is working ok too but just thinking of long term as one YouTube video I watched suggested that possibly the upper and lower limits of the battery were changed in January update due to some issue found that impacted the longevity of the battery life over time. Its an assumption I'm sure but alerted me to the fact that I should keep the car up to date if possible and I don't think it is asking too much of the dealers here in Ireland to provide updates that the rest of Europe are getting.
Yes RE the dealerships yes I rang the aftersales folks at my dealership before posting here and they were the ones fobbing me off and also said there was no MG Ireland help desk at present but that I could email them. I haven't emailed them yet to be honest but I might do just to get the official word. I'm really hoping northern Ireland dealers are more clued in than here in the south. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Really appreciate.
No problem at all - as you can see, everyone's really helpful and keen to chip in, so don't be afraid to ask questions. ;)

I forgot to add that I agree the car should be updated to the newest BMS because, as you've rightly pointed out, it moves the useable portion of the battery lower so there's an upper and lower buffer and for battery/car longevity, the BMS should be upgraded but I'll be leaving it until it's next service rather than making a specific, extra, trip to the dealers.

To be honest, I'm still debating how long we will be keeping this car but I would expect the battery to have a reasonable useable amount at least for the next 4 years so we should be okay, even if the car never receives another BMS update! 🤞

Cheers

Bloggsy

How do you know the BMS update is not a 'system enhancement' if you are still waiting for an answer? It was part of the comfort 2 software update which was chargeable by dealerships. (If you bought the car from the dealership they quite often did not charge).
As all dealers have been told/and are doing the BMS on the next service (unless customer states don't) FOC I think that it is not a system enhancement.

Have you seen the 'Service Action Bulletin' from MG Motor UK Limited, which has been sent to dealerships with this instruction.

I have not come across it, do you have the Reference number and Issue number?

I am in southern ireland and went to liffey valley frank keane for a service, they had no means of updating the software, €150 later. I ended up going to Sere in belfast and they sorted the BMS for me for free. Ill be going to belfast going forward.

I am in southern ireland and went to liffey valley frank keane for a service, they had no means of updating the software, €150 later. I ended up going to Sere in belfast and they sorted the BMS for me for free. Ill be going to belfast going forward.
Ah ok, I'm having the same issue with the same dealer in the south. Thanks for the feedback CDR. I did get the impression they didn't have the means to update but didn't want to admit to that.

Ah ok, I'm having the same issue with the same dealer in the south. Thanks for the feedback CDR. I did get the impression they didn't have the means to update but didn't want to admit to

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom