Lane keeping assist

Talk doesn’t change much, go crowd fund a software team in India to develop your own software to implement a user selectable LKA mode.

LKA is sh!te, today I nearly got steered into an on coming vehicle, it is only time before someone has an accident. I have a fully UpToDate car as it has been in for AC charging issues. How can this be an NCAP safety feature when it is constantly trying to make you have an accident?

LKA is sh!te, today I nearly got steered into an on coming vehicle, it is only time before someone has an accident. I have a fully UpToDate car as it has been in for AC charging issues. How can this be an NCAP safety feature when it is constantly trying to make you have an accident?
Did it steer you away from the outer lining?

I drove cars where lane assistant was smooth, subtile and still effective (VW, Renault). I do accept restrictions of my personal freedom that improve safety.
But the MG system is just poorly implemented and I doubt that any governmental agency did a proper review.

I often use ‘ACC’ and yesterday - setting-off on a long journey and anticipating some traffic-jams on the way - I decided to try ‘TJA’. If you think ‘LKA’ is bad you should try ‘TJA’. I couldn’t keep the car in a straight line. Is it supposed to be selected just while you’re in queueing traffic? I had to pull-in at the side of the road so I could flick through the menus on the non-responsive centre display to disable it.
Another problem I realised on my journey is that the centre display is too reflective to be able to see the satnav directions at the top of the screen. I miss the turn and distance details on the driver’s display that I had in my last ICE car.

I often use ‘ACC’ and yesterday - setting-off on a long journey and anticipating some traffic-jams on the way - I decided to try ‘TJA’. If you think ‘LKA’ is bad you should try ‘TJA’. I couldn’t keep the car in a straight line. Is it supposed to be selected just while you’re in queueing traffic? I had to pull-in at the side of the road so I could flick through the menus on the non-responsive centre display to disable it.
Another problem I realised on my journey is that the centre display is too reflective to be able to see the satnav directions at the top of the screen. I miss the turn and distance details on the driver’s display that I had in my last ICE car.
Why? You can display them on the drivers display.

I’ve missed that. How do I do that?
Push the infotainment/instrument button once (right side steering wheel, middle one). Now you can chose between various functions such as radio, tyre pressure, power consumption clicking the toggle left or right. If you started a navi session, one of the options is to show the navi info. I use it very often. Just enough info there.

TJA is intended for low speed traffic situations - hence the name, Traffic Jam Assist. However, it also works at higher speeds like a poor man's auto-pilot. The design intent is to keep the car centrally in the lane, hence why the steering wheel fidgets a lot ... they don't have much damping on the assistance.

I don't like the implementation on my car ... I used to use it, up until the time it tried to steer me into a lorry in lane 1 that I was overtaking in lane 2. And it's not as if the road was winding or anything - it was fairly straight. 😲

My MG4 was recently in for its first service looks like they did a software update as the a/c screen now comes up when you enter the car . Also the lane kepping assist seems to be less violent that it was before does anyone know if this is the case ?
I was told at my MG4 service last week that they were developing a lka suitable for british roads. It'd be ready by next autumn and they would load then, or on the next annual service.
Meanwhile they've toned it down making it less frightening.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back