Latest Software version + no updates at service

MartinSEsr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi

I have an MG4 SE and am on R16 (head unit) (and I know there are other modules with internal versions I don't know about). I'd like to get the outside temperature back and the updated HVAC display screen.

My car was serviced a week ago at the 12 month point for £110 at Summit Garade Dudley. I was assuming I'd get upgraded to the latest software version, as let's face it there's not much else to do or to check on a car that's done 7k miles, but when picking it up, I was told that it already had the latest software.

Is there a later software version for the SE or not? I know you can't get upgraded software 'on demand' but thought it would get a general suite of updates at service time.

thanks all
Martin

Anecdotally there's R21 for the UK, but that doesn't return the temperature indication. There's also (allegedly) R29 in the EU, which does return the temperature, and also has the new style AC page.

I'm waiting for one that fixes the USB player, allows the radio to stay off when you turn it off, and allows the auto-locking to be disabled. What's the damn point of updates if they don't fix existing bugs? (And that's not even starting on the more minor annoyancies that are common to both the SE and the Trophy.)

1st service done yesterday, software updates done were:

AS-23-SC47, CCU (Combined Charging Unit, both AC & DC)
AS-23-SCUK001A, BCM (Body Control Module), EVCC (Electric Vehicle Charge Controller) , FDR (no idea, presumably not a dead American President)

I asked about the demise of the external temperature display which has been mentioned here, saying it should remain as it is a safety feature, or if removed due to it never having been a feature of the SE model, would they be removed the rear privacy glass my car should not have?

I am pleased to report both remain after the upgrades.
Interestingly, both nearside tyres have less tread depth than the offside tyres, wonder why that is?

Loan car for the day was a newly registered Trophy, very few miles on the clock, nice to try but I prefer my SE.
The addition of a rear wiper is a joke, swept area not much bigger than the central headrest.
One pedal driving was not available due to the SoC being above 90%, Ho Hum!

Do you know if you're still on R13, which was the last update that had the external temperature display, or if you now have R33, which restores it?

There is no way the loss of the external temperature display was deliberate, because there is no way a modern car of any price bracket wouldn't have that feature. Even the grotty 950 cc hire cars I had on holiday had it. It was an obvious mistake, compounded by the fact that they didn't fix it on the following upgrade.

The main issue there is MG representatives being way too eager to pretend that a bug isn't a bug. To the point of pretending that a bug that removed a safety feature from the car was the deliberate (one might even say vindictive) removal of a basic feature the car wasn't intended to have. And yes I do blame MG representatives who parroted a line fed to them by "a technician" without cycling it through their brain for basic plausibility.

This car can display the pressures of the individual tyres. (And I really wouldn't have complained if that had been absent from the SE.) The idea that they deliberately jemmied the software to prevent it displaying something as important as the outside temperature is ludicrous and always was.

Last edited:
FDR -Flight Data Recorder but more likely to be Front Detection Radar

The tyre wear could be down to the camber of the road.

Ah, they didn't update the infotainment screen at all. Someone in another thread has reported getting R33 and the external temperature is back again.

1st service done yesterday, software updates done were:

AS-23-SC47, CCU (Combined Charging Unit, both AC & DC)
AS-23-SCUK001A, BCM (Body Control Module), EVCC (Electric Vehicle Charge Controller) , FDR (no idea, presumably not a dead American President)

I asked about the demise of the external temperature display which has been mentioned here, saying it should remain as it is a safety feature, or if removed due to it never having been a feature of the SE model, would they be removed the rear privacy glass my car should not have?

I am pleased to report both remain after the upgrades.
Interestingly, both nearside tyres have less tread depth than the offside tyres, wonder why that is?

Loan car for the day was a newly registered Trophy, very few miles on the clock, nice to try but I prefer my SE.
The addition of a rear wiper is a joke, swept area not much bigger than the central headrest.
One pedal driving was not available due to the SoC being above 90%, Ho Hum!
Just out of interest, how did you know of the above updates during the service.
Did the dealer give you a breakdown of what was done?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back