Launch control: is it just for x-power?

fnegroni

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Do any other models have launch control other than the x-power?

Reason I ask is because I didn't know if mine had it or not. Watched a video showing the sequence for the x-power: left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator: press brake hard, floor the accelerator.
Power builds up to about 60%
Release brake, car launches!

Tried it on my SE SR gen1, and works exactly the same.

Has anyone else tried?

I may try it next time I'm on the M6 toll as I pull away in my trophy

nice to see how quickly you can get to 60. though an immature friend of mine told me they got to 93 by the national speed limit sign (~1/4 mile)

Tried it, it works but kind of bogs down the first couple of feet then it goes. To be honnest, it is almost as fast to just floor it. And if I just floored it and go it's much faster than standing on the brake pedal and waiting for the power to build up.😉

having tried it a couple times with a passenger onboard: we noticed that when accelerating after holding the brake pedal firmly down, the telltale sign the ‘launch control’ is engaged is a kind of thump sound, just once, as if coming from the brake system engaging something (possibly the traction control: there’s hardly any slippage yet the acceleration is violent)
If you don’t hear that sound, then the launch control hasn’t engaged and it will bog down when releasing the brake.
Even in the SE SR the difference with and without launch control (or whatever it is) is quite noticeable

I hope the clunk isn't the overload protection activating because the electric motor has given up trying to move the car :unsure:

I hope the clunk isn't the overload protection activating because the electric motor has given up trying to move the car :unsure:
The power % builds up to 60% after the clunk, and there's no noise or anything indicating overload.
If you don't hear the clunk, however, power % fluctuates and as soon as you release the brake, the motor starts from 0% power.
TBH I am not in need of launch control anyway. The last time I tried on a Corsa-E it didn't work.

Someone tried to race me off the lights on Saturday and I wish I'd been ready for them. Could have been handy.

I moved forward just expecting to be way ahead of the opposition as usual and this car to my left suddenly made an issue of it and stayed with me. Since I wanted to move into the left lane and the guy behind him was a dinky toy in the rear windscreen I just left it and let him go. But grrrr.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back