JMCDJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
On Friday after getting into my car, I noticed rain was leaking in through the roof of my MG4 trophy above the sunglasses holder and the front passenger seat was extremely damp. The rest of the ceiling at the front was also very wet.

I contacted the dealership, Ancaster in Bromley, to ask what could be done as the car is less than a year old and, because it's a Motability vehicle, was advised I would need to contact Motability. Upon contacting them, I was advised by Motability's insurers that it would have to be dealt with as a fault claim.

I didn't like the sound of this, as it's still under warranty for over 6 years and no damage had occurred to cause the issue, so contacted Motability again and selected another option and was told to contact the RAC(?). Once the RAC arrived, they questioned as to why they'd been called out before stating the car wasn't fit to drive and asked me to contact the dealership when they opened today about arranging to collect it. In the interim, they organised for a courtesy car to come today.

Having spoken to Ancaster today, to say they were quite unhelpful would be an understatement. The earliest they can squeeze me in is 12 April. I asked about whether they would be able to store the car until then and was advised they couldn't. I don't have off street parking and will now need to accommodate both the faulty MG4 and a courtesy car. Parking charges around here are ridiculous.

Has anyone else had experience of either a leaky roof or their dealership being uncooperative in this way? I understand space is at a premium in car dealership forecourts, but 6 weeks is a bit of a stretch to be left in the lurch - particularly considering the problem is down to crappy manufacturing.

Bring back my Mercedes - their service was second to none.

On Friday after getting into my car, I noticed rain was leaking in through the roof of my MG4 trophy above the sunglasses holder and the front passenger seat was extremely damp. The rest of the ceiling at the front was also very wet.

I contacted the dealership, Ancaster in Bromley, to ask what could be done as the car is less than a year old and, because it's a Motability vehicle, was advised I would need to contact Motability. Upon contacting them, I was advised by Motability's insurers that it would have to be dealt with as a fault claim.

I didn't like the sound of this, as it's still under warranty for over 6 years and no damage had occurred to cause the issue, so contacted Motability again and selected another option and was told to contact the RAC(?). Once the RAC arrived, they questioned as to why they'd been called out before stating the car wasn't fit to drive and asked me to contact the dealership when they opened today about arranging to collect it. In the interim, they organised for a courtesy car to come today.

Having spoken to Ancaster today, to say they were quite unhelpful would be an understatement. The earliest they can squeeze me in is 12 April. I asked about whether they would be able to store the car until then and was advised they couldn't. I don't have off street parking and will now need to accommodate both the faulty MG4 and a courtesy car. Parking charges around here are ridiculous.

Has anyone else had experience of either a leaky roof or their dealership being uncooperative in this way? I understand space is at a premium in car dealership forecourts, but 6 weeks is a bit of a stretch to be left in the lurch - particularly considering the problem is down to crappy manufacturing.

Bring back my Mercedes - their service was second to none.

I would be furious at the lack of help you are receiving.

I can only see water getting in there via the windscreen.

Either get it removed and reinstalled by a local windscreen outfit. (£75)

Make sure re calibration is included.

Run a strip of duct tape along the top of the windscreen as a temporary repair.

Or my favourite, Clear Bath Sealant tape over the join.

All Totally unacceptable I'm sure you will agree.

You should NOT have to be sorting out the issue.

I think two weeks is the maximum you should have to wait to see a dealer.

Any other dealers near you worth a quick call?

Edit: The tape will be a pain to remove.

Only suggestions of course.

I'm quite practical and like to sort things out myself wherever possible.

Last edited:
It's Motability's problem to sort out. You are leasing the car from them and they have supplied you with a faulty car. You shouldn't need to deal with the dealer direct.

Cheers very much Bricktop. I wasn't sure if I was overreacting, so it's nice to see you agree.

I've just had the pleasure of speaking to the service manager at the Ancaster Dartford branch who is a lot more understanding and has offered to take it in today.

Thankfully, Motability have also since arranged for the RAC to deliver the MG4 to them, so all good.

I just couldn't get over the poor customer service from Ancaster's Bromley branch. An absolute joke.

Cheers very much Bricktop. I wasn't sure if I was overreacting, so it's nice to see you agree.

I've just had the pleasure of speaking to the service manager at the Ancaster Dartford branch who is a lot more understanding and has offered to take it in today.

Thankfully, Motability have also since arranged for the RAC to deliver the MG4 to them, so all good.

I just couldn't get over the poor customer service from Ancaster's Bromley branch. An absolute joke.
Result.👍

There are good dealers out there (I've been told!)
Putting myself in the hands of my local dealer next week due to a sensor issue.

Let's see how they do!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel