Leave an OBD dongle permanently connected with ABRP without triggering the alarm !

Gilles

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Leave an OBD dongle permanently connected without triggering the alarm: it's here
https://forums.automobile-propre.com/.../laisser-un.../
IMG_20240415_152824.jpg
cablage.adaptateur USB OBD.jpeg.1.jpeg
IMG_20240415_145242.jpg

Looks good. I haven't been able to find anything commercially available :-(

(On the nerdy side, it's amazing to see 1N4007 still being used 50 years after I started using it and selling it :))
It's very practical and I've been using it for several days now without any problem !

It depends on the dongle you are using and the way you use it, that is to say with a smartphone or with a Carlinkit 5 type box, like me...

Some trigger the alarm, others do not.
What OBD dongle model are you using ?

Last edited:
But I think you are using ABRP on your smartphone, not on a Carlinkit 5, because as it is connected to a USB port on the MG4, and the USB ports remain powered for several minutes after locking the doors, there is a high probability of triggering the alarm in this specific case, either just after locking the car, or a few moments later !
Hence the usefulness of my little achievement in this specific case !

IMG_20240417_125601.jpg

New location for the box, a little less visible from the outside...

But I think you are using ABRP on your smartphone, not on a Carlinkit 5, because as it is connected to a USB port on the MG4, and the USB ports remain powered for several minutes after locking the doors, there is a high probability of triggering the alarm in this specific case, either just after locking the car, or a few moments later !
Hence the usefulness of my little achievement in this specific case !
Surely that would only apply if you left your phone attached to the USB in the car when you locked it?

Surely that would only apply if you left your phone attached to the USB in the car when you locked it?
A Carlinkit device replaces the phone's wired connection. As such the device remains connected to the USB, even if your phone is out of the car, and the phone might still have a wireless/Bluetooth connection to the device.

"A Carlinkit device replaces the phone's wired connection. As such the device remains connected to the USB, even if your phone is out of the car, and the phone might still have a wireless/Bluetooth connection to the device."
My Carlinkit 5 8/128 completely replaces a smartphone: it is autonomous and contains the Android applications I need (e.g. ABRP).
So, if it remains connected via USB to the car, as long as the USB port remains powered (a few minutes for the MG4), it can communicate via Bluetooth with the OBD dongle and therefore trigger an alarm!
Hence the interest in my DIY...

Last edited:
A Carlinkit device replaces the phone's wired connection. As such the device remains connected to the USB, even if your phone is out of the car, and the phone might still have a wireless/Bluetooth connection to the device.
No mention was made about Carlink at the start of this. The question was about OBD Dongles.

No mention was made about Carlink at the start of this. The question was about OBD Dongles.
But I wasn't commenting re. the start of the thread ... I commented (post #10) on the basis of your reply #9 to post #8. I thought that the flow of the thread would make this very clear - obviously not. 🙄

"I use a Veepeak OBD 2 dongle and it’s been plugged in without issue since the day I bought the car."
If you use a smartphone to use ABRP with Android Auto or CarPlay, this is normal, but if, like me, you use ABRP on a Carlinkint 5 8/128 box, my DIY is very useful, because the USB port of the car which powers the Carlinkit remains powered on for several moments after the doors are locked, triggering the MG4's alarm ! Or, you should remember to unplug the OBD dongle before leaving the vehicle or use an OBD extender with a switch - with the risk of forgetting to turn it off!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back