LED bulbs for MG ZS EV headlights

Does just changing a bulb type quantify as a "conversion" though ?
Technically (and the law is a matter of "the letter of the law") it is a conversion since the Gen 1 cars were fitted with a Certified "H" ie HB3 Halogen bulb and LED replacement bulbs cannot have an "H" certification. LED bulbs are sold as "replacements for HB3" or "HB3 conversion" and aren't European certified. So your insurance company in the event of an accident if trying to avoid paying out, could declare your car insurance as invalid since it was being driven without legal lighting. Just saying I would take the risk.

Technically (and the law is a matter of "the letter of the law") it is a conversion since the Gen 1 cars were fitted with a Certified "H" ie HB3 Halogen bulb and LED replacement bulbs cannot have an "H" certification. LED bulbs are sold as "replacements for HB3" or "HB3 conversion" and aren't European certified. So your insurance company in the event of an accident if trying to avoid paying out, could declare your car insurance as invalid since it was being driven without legal lighting. Just saying I would take the risk.
You "would" or wouldn't take the risk ?
Weighing up the pros, I would say there's less chance of having an accident at night, when the lights are in use, if you can see the road better. So, IMO, there's less chance of making an insurance claim. In a claim when the lights are not involved, during clear daylight, I doubt if the insurance company would even check the bulbs.

You "would" or wouldn't take the risk ?
Weighing up the pros, I would say there's less chance of having an accident at night, when the lights are in use, if you can see the road better. So, IMO, there's less chance of making an insurance claim. In a claim when the lights are not involved, during clear daylight, I doubt if the insurance company would even check the bulbs.
they check every single thing if they can get out of paying your claim

they check every single thing if they can get out of paying your claim
Not true, many people are lead to believe so. But the fact is they only check things that have to do with the claim.
An example, SWMBO had someone reverse into her car whilst it was parked, the culprit was there and gave all his details etc. Nobody from either insurance company came to assess either car, they just booked hers in to the body shop and had it repaired. So in fact they checked nothing.
Whether she had LED headlamp bulbs or not was irrelevant.

Which implies it was a big enough "bump"/claim that someone came to inspect....
That exactly what I getting at it had nothing to do with the claim but that was the reason they needed not to pay so all I am saying you do what you want and live with the consequences if the worst happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really living life on the edge with my LEDs headlight bulbs. :LOL:

After reading 10 pages of messages, I think I will stick to Osram Nightbraker Halogen 150% . I ordered it already from Amazon , arriving tomorrow.
Thank you all guys. I learnt a lot tonight. 😊

Thanks for all the replies. The bulb pattern on dipped beam is exactly the same as the standard halogen bulbs with no excess throw etc but a much better light. I have converted many light units to xenon without issue or stops this is my first rodeo with led and I am impressed. You can actually see the road with the led’s. They are seated correctly.

My only issue is high beam. The light appears to go upward more so than forward (hence the well lit trees above me comment ) just wondering if anyone had the same issue and how they had resolved if at all
I see you say on high beam the light seems to go up the way. Mine does that with the original halogens... I intend fitting LEDs too. They will be Twenty20 make as I've used them before and are one of the very few to conform properly although not approved as yet. Did you have any issue fitting them. Are they very close to the rubber boot as I don't want to melt it with the heatsinks.
Any errors...
Thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom