• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

LED/HID Light Conversion now an MOT Fail

You keep showing all these article's but it doesn't show anything that has shown insurance being invalidated...... If you think me and all the others who upgraded their headlight bulbs so they can actually see are breaking the law then that's up to you but if you actually seen a comparison before and after on the zs you would see they don't dazzle and you can actually see.... Hardly hardcore criminals are we for wanting to see at night 😂

You keep showing all these article's but it doesn't show anything that has shown insurance being invalidated...... If you think me and all the others who upgraded their headlight bulbs so they can actually see are breaking the law then that's up to you but if you actually seen a comparison before and after on the zs you would see they don't dazzle and you can actually see.... Hardly hardcore criminals are we for wanting to see at night 😂
At no point did I suggest you shouldn't upgrade your bulbs - I have superb LED bulbs in my ZS and several people on this forum have bought identical kits after my recommendation.

My point stands that you are technically modifying your car from its factory build and that insurers could potentially invalidate your claim because of it.

At no point did I suggest you shouldn't upgrade your bulbs - I have superb LED bulbs in my ZS and several people on this forum have bought identical kits after my recommendation.

My point stands that you are technically modifying your car from its factory build and that insurers could potentially invalidate your claim because of it.
I honestly get what you're saying but am I right to say if you don't fit exactly the same tyres fitted when new you're upgrading your car?
I know I'm being padantic but it's the same thing.

Tyres are not classed as a modification so long as they conform to the relative laws. Obviously slicks are illegal for road use etc.

Tyres are not classed as a modification so long as they conform to the relative laws. Obviously slicks are illegal for road use etc.
So you saying led number plate lights which are legal because cars come with them from the factory are illegal to fit as you said an insurance company refused to pay out when some where fitted.

From everything I've read, it's illegal to change any external bulb to LED if it was designed with halogen bulbs from factory.
Only internal bulbs can be changed to LED without breaking any law or legislation.

You can read more here;

Let's have a vote !
Legal or illegal
There's no need to vote; upgrading to LED headlight bulbs is illegal. The MOT test has just been updated this month to include LED technology:

Brexit 2021 Update
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Illegal but extremely unlikely it’ll actually fail the test.

@SCB86 I’ve just ordered the headlight bulbs you have because the cheapo ones I fitted are absolute shite, better than the halogens but still worse than decent halogens.

I don't for one second expect to fail an MOT with LED's fitted and I've passed with reflector headlights and LED bulbs before (high quality ones obviously)

I think you'll really like the Koyoso bulbs, they make a huge difference and they're not blue tinged like some. They look closer to 5000K to my eyes. They're not expensive but not cheap either but when you get them you'll see how well built they are. Definitely worth the cost 👍🏻

Some interesting thoughts on insurance and modifications. Most insurers (not all) will, in the event of a claim look at any non-disclosed modifications from standard (if they notice them of course) and decide if they were a contributing factor towards the incident. If they are, then they may look to repudiate the claim - under some situations. If they are not a contributing factor - they will consider if they require additional premium to cover them. This is a very simplified overview. Some insurers may decide that becuase of an undisclosed modification they would not - had they been told - have insured the car at inception and refund the premium. There are also other legal requirements to be met by the insurer - i.e. meeting third party costs in some instances. So, it can be seen that it’s not that straightforward. Some insurers may take a view that they will look to repudiate in any case where a car has undisclosed modifications regardless if they were a contributing factor to the incident. The Insurance Ombudsman has quite a few referrals involving these type claims.

Interesting bike-related article here about modifications, albiet a couple of years old. IMHO, for what it's worth, fitting these bulbs gives insurers plenty of wriggle room to get out of paying a claim (which could leave you liable). Bear in mind that the standard bulbs - like them or not - will be type approved for the housing in which they're used, which has now been addressed in the new MOT update (see post above or my seperate thread). I also remember some while back a claim being rejected for a motorcyclist who had added stickers to his bike's tank! 😲

So, in summary, change the bulbs as you like but bear in mind you may be exposing yourself to insurance/legal risks if you don't declare them and/or they're not legal to use. Whatever you do, please, please, PLEASE don't be one of those a--holes whose lights are so bright it's like shining lasers into the eyes of drivers of oncoming traffic. That is dangerous ;)

A thought - this is a public forum, so if insurers find their way here, will they now scrutinise the lightbulbs of all MG ZS EV claims? Who knows....

Correctly adjusted lights don’t shine into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

I have asked my dealer to change my headlights to LED's before I acquire the car but they have refused. I am not dexterous enough to do it myself so will have to go to my local garage to get it done...does anyone know if Halfords will do it ?

I have asked my dealer to change my headlights to LED's before I acquire the car but they have refused. I am not dexterous enough to do it myself so will have to go to my local garage to get it done...does anyone know if Halfords will do it ?
I can tell you from changing mine that there is lots of space and it's easy to do. But if you suffer with dexterity it may be an issue - my bulb covers were so tight it took about 5 minutes to get them off.

If I was you I'd buy the bulbs and just pop into a back street garage. I paid £10-£20 for my local garage to change mine over on an older car (access was too difficult for me to do)

Halfords won't fit bulbs unless you bought them from them.

I can tell you from changing mine that there is lots of space and it's easy to do. But if you suffer with dexterity it may be an issue - my bulb covers were so tight it took about 5 minutes to get them off.

If I was you I'd buy the bulbs and just pop into a back street garage. I paid £10-£20 for my local garage to change mine over on an older car (access was too difficult for me to do)

Halfords won't fit bulbs unless you bought them from them.
Do you know if they sell decent LED bulbs ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom