LED/HID Light Conversion now an MOT Fail

ARealHuman

Reaction score
I havn't researched this, but have picked this up on a credible bike forum - I know some on here have done LED conversions:

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements
Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

shikoku14

Reaction score
Interesting, I read that as converting the headlamp unit, not swapping the bulb.
Converting the unit would actually be a pass, well putting in a headlight that was designed for LED with auto-leveling they couldn't fail you for that. It's using the wrong bulbs in the wrong housings they can technically fail you for. I think most people who have done this have gone with the logic is 2-3 years till my MOT I'll worry about this later!

Mark Holmes

Reaction score
Converting the unit would actually be a pass, well putting in a headlight that was designed for LED with auto-leveling they couldn't fail you for that. It's using the wrong bulbs in the wrong housings they can technically fail you for. I think most people who have done this have gone with the logic is 2-3 years till my MOT I'll worry about this later!
Sure have and kept the old bulbs to put back if needed

Kithmo

Reaction score
Sure have and kept the old bulbs to put back if needed
Are you really going to put the candles back in Mark ? :LOL:
If they don't change the regs and/or start E marking LEDs I will probably put some brighter halogens in when the test is due, not Osram Nightbreakers though with 6 months warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boban
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom