LED/HID Light Conversion now an MOT Fail

ARealHuman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I havn't researched this, but have picked this up on a credible bike forum - I know some on here have done LED conversions:

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements
Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Interesting, I read that as converting the headlamp unit, not swapping the bulb.

Interesting, I read that as converting the headlamp unit, not swapping the bulb.
Converting the unit would actually be a pass, well putting in a headlight that was designed for LED with auto-leveling they couldn't fail you for that. It's using the wrong bulbs in the wrong housings they can technically fail you for. I think most people who have done this have gone with the logic is 2-3 years till my MOT I'll worry about this later!

Converting the unit would actually be a pass, well putting in a headlight that was designed for LED with auto-leveling they couldn't fail you for that. It's using the wrong bulbs in the wrong housings they can technically fail you for. I think most people who have done this have gone with the logic is 2-3 years till my MOT I'll worry about this later!
Sure have and kept the old bulbs to put back if needed

Sure have and kept the old bulbs to put back if needed
Are you really going to put the candles back in Mark ? :LOL:
If they don't change the regs and/or start E marking LEDs I will probably put some brighter halogens in when the test is due, not Osram Nightbreakers though with 6 months warranty.

If you put decent led bulbs in you won't fail the mot because they don't dazzle and the beam pattern is just as good as the candles only you can actually see what's in front of you.... I also don't see it as modifying if you put an led hb3 bulb in as its just a bulb replacement not a modification.
I don't see what everyone's problem is with these led lights.... They don't dazzle because they're in a projector housing and they help you see better at night.... Surely that's a good thing and hardly the crime of the century 🤷‍♂️

The issue isn't with the people who put in decent bulbs. The issue is the people who put dodgy bulbs in headlights that can't handle leds, and give horrendous beam patterns, or who fit HID kits without all the associated gubbins that's required to stop them dazzling other drivers. Since the government lacks the ability or will to tell the difference, they revert to type and take the easy choice of the banhammer.

So we can all agree that putting led bulbs in the ZS is ok as it has projector lights and the beam cut off is exactly the same as the standard bulbs.

So we can all agree that putting led bulbs in the ZS is ok as it has projector lights and the beam cut off is exactly the same as the standard bulbs.
It's still illegal to put LED's or HID's in headlights that weren't designed for them, but it won't fail an MOT if they meet the beam pattern requirements.
The only potential risk is if you have an accident, technically your insurance would be void if they found out.

Your insurance would not be void if you have an accident.... Your insurance is only invalid if you modify your car to look different or add performance.... Changing your headlight bulbs does neither.... Next you'll be saying that putting a different make of tyres from std will invalidate it too.
Truth is I've put these led bulbs in and they are fantastic... The cut off is the same because it has a hard cover in the lamp unit... I can now see at night and I'm not dazzling oncoming cars so I don't see the issue and if I'm honest the std lights are borderline dangerous and if people are happy to drive at night with them then I'd say they where dangerous.

It's still illegal to put LED's or HID's in headlights that weren't designed for them, but it won't fail an MOT if they meet the beam pattern requirements.
The only potential risk is if you have an accident, technically your insurance would be void if they found out.
A lot of insurance companies aren't even sure what an MG ZS EV is, let alone whether it should have LED headlights or not. :sneaky:

Your insurance would not be void if you have an accident.... Your insurance is only invalid if you modify your car to look different or add performance.... Changing your headlight bulbs does neither.... Next you'll be saying that putting a different make of tyres from std will invalidate it too.
Truth is I've put these led bulbs in and they are fantastic... The cut off is the same because it has a hard cover in the lamp unit... I can now see at night and I'm not dazzling oncoming cars so I don't see the issue and if I'm honest the std lights are borderline dangerous and if people are happy to drive at night with them then I'd say they where dangerous.
You have modified your car from standard fitting upgraded LED bulbs, the same way stickers, alloys from the same make but not standard on your trim, tinted windows etc are all classed as modifications.
They can use it as a clause to not pay out.
In Auto Express magazine they did an article on modifications and they said even adding options from the factory should be declared to your insurer.
I'm not saying you should inform them or that potentially you'd fall foul if you claimed on your insurance, but it's still classed as a modification.

A bulb change is not a modification are you are putting the same type of bulb in..... I know what you're saying but you're confusing a modification with changing something like for like but a bit better.... If I fit a better performance tyre to my car is my insurance void... You know the answer is no and it's the same for a headlight bulb.

A bulb change is not a modification are you are putting the same type of bulb in..... I know what you're saying but you're confusing a modification with changing something like for like but a bit better.... If I fit a better performance tyre to my car is my insurance void... You know the answer is no and it's the same for a headlight bulb.

Someone had their insurance claim rejected because they had fitted LED number plate bulbs.

No they didn't 😂 I'd love to see anything more than something in a newspaper..... Do you really think an insurance company could refuse to pay out because of a number plate bulb 😂 😂 😂 come on you're not that gulable surely.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom