Left star button problem

bobbarley

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Apologies if this has been brought up, I searched but couldn’t find anything specific.

Has anyone had a problem in the Trophy where no matter what you assign to the left star button, it changes back? I can’t stop it defaulting to regen, whatever I click it defaults back around 1 second later right in front of my eyes.

It is a fairly common bug, but we don't know what causes it. Does not seem to be the infotainment software version since for some people with the latest R46 it doesn't happen and some it does.

Presumably it is a bug in a car module for which some people have the update.

I recently mentioned in another thread that at it's first service last month I pointed out to my dealer that the left star button stopped working when they upgraded software to R46 (an issue that has been known since R46 release 7 months ago). Dealer stated they would highlight issue to MG. I thought I would hear nothing more but a few days later, dealer called stating MG have instructed my car to be taken off the road, infotainment unit removed and returned to them for diagnosis/fixing. I thought this was excessive as did dealer for a commonly known software bug but didn't really have a choice in matter. I currently have an MG4 paid for courtesy car, for past 3 weeks and hope to get my own car back this week. I am intrigued as to what MG have done and why after over 7 months of them knowing of this relatively minor fault they suddenly decided to expirement on my car when surely the next software update would correct the matter.

I HAVE An SE and while my RH star button works fine THE LH one does not work at all. It gives me the menu but I am unable to select any of the options > it's a minor irritant that I'll try to get sorted at the caras 2nd service .
i

I have exactly the same issue with configuring the left hand star button. It was perfectly definable until it went in for a service and various systems were updated (including R46 infotainment update). The left hand button can now only be defined as the regen level function

I have exactly the same issue with configuring the left hand star button. It was perfectly definable until it went in for a service and various systems were updated (including R46 infotainment update). The left hand button can now only be defined as the regen level function
I really don't understand how these updates can be so flaky that they'll give different cars different issues!!

So just got my car back after 3 weeks with hire car at expense of MG. Infotainment unit was returned to MG who were unable to fix the issue with left star button after R46 upgrade. So a new infotainment unit was supplied and fitted which I was told costs £1k. So it may be the case that an R59 (which I now have), software update will not fix the left star problem and MG look as though they will be very busy supplying a whole lot of new infotainment units if this is how they are going to deal with the issue. I'm happy though now.😁

I have already said above, I don't think it is the infotainment that has the bug - the default not sticking is down to a car module somewhere not updated (having its own bug), the infotainment only provides the user interface to view and set the defaults. R59 may provide other benefits.

I had a shed load of module updates to fix my CCU issue and I have R46 and the left hand star button works fine with a custom setting that it remembers without fail.

So just got my car back after 3 weeks with hire car at expense of MG. Infotainment unit was returned to MG who were unable to fix the issue with left star button after R46 upgrade. So a new infotainment unit was supplied and fitted which I was told costs £1k. So it may be the case that an R59 (which I now have), software update will not fix the left star problem and MG look as though they will be very busy supplying a whole lot of new infotainment units if this is how they are going to deal with the issue. I'm happy though now.😁
Looks like i might have to talk to my MG dealership about doing the same thing. Seems a lot of effort and expense just to correct a minor issue. Have you noticed any changes that R59 has brought to the infotainment system, by any chance?

Looks like i might have to talk to my MG dealership about doing the same thing. Seems a lot of effort and expense just to correct a minor issue. Have you noticed any changes that R59 has brought to the infotainment system, by any chance?
Yea, I've posted screenshots on software update thread.

Same in Oz, left Star wants to do drive mode all the time. We need A/C a lot here and tried to assign it to left button but won’t stay. Fortunately A/C goes well on right side and when not activated , works the volume and track ok. Left button is mere decoration atm.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back