Legal headlight upgrade

..please note that this isn't just an MOT related failure - the car is also illegal from that point as it no longer has a valid set of MOT approved lights, essentially it shouldn't be on the road as it will not pass an MOT.
May be legally shouldn't be on the road, but LEDs help you stay on the road on a dark rainy night :D

Last edited:
LEDs in the interior and the boot are a vast improvement over the filament bulbs, with the added bonus that they're less drain on the 12v if you leave them on.
Hi Kithmo, you wouldn't possibly have details of the internal LED's you fitted?

Hi Kithmo, you wouldn't possibly have details of the internal LED's you fitted?
They were just some standard 501 W5W LEDs I had knocking about from a previous purchase.
The hatch one is a festoon bulb, can't remember the length now.

Re the MOT, yes, but that's nearly two years away ;)
I wouldn't think the range is affected much in reality unless you do lots of mileage in the dark.
My LEDs are 35W each compared to 60W each halogen, not a huge difference.
I’m thinking of fitting LED lamps as well. If you don’t mind me asking, which ones did you go for?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can anyone kindly advise me on if there’s a MOT passing replacement LED headlight bulb available to fit, which will improve visibility on the factory issued bulb? Thanks 🙏
Not wishing to put a damper on this but, if the bulbs fitted would not pass an MOT, are they legal to fit? Insurance companies also ask if there are any modifications to the car. Therefore, if these replacements are not declared, the car insurance would be invalid. In this day and age, insurance companies are very quick to find any reason to deny cover. Any thoughts?

Not wishing to put a damper on this but, if the bulbs fitted would not pass an MOT, are they legal to fit? Insurance companies also ask if there are any modifications to the car. Therefore, if these replacements are not declared, the car insurance would be invalid. In this day and age, insurance companies are very quick to find any reason to deny cover. Any thoughts?
I suppose that depends on what is a modification. Is changing the bulb a modification ? If yes then is changing the bulb to a better halogen bulb a modification ? 🤷‍♂️

Is fitting a different rating tyre a modification? Even fitting wheels or feature pack that are an optional extra from dealer is technically a modification.

All that aside, we all know that there is a risk when fitting something like a non-halogen bulb into a headlight unit designed for halogens due to the legality. Police could fine or give points, MOT should fail and insurance might not pay out. In theory. In reality? Who knows…

Has anyone heard of anybody ever being stopped by the police because their headlights were too bright ?
How would they know the difference between a 3900k legal bulb and a 6500k illegal bulb by just looking at it as you drive past and do they carry a list of every car make and model headlamp specifications, i.e which ones have factory LEDs and which ones don't ?
I think the only time they might check them, and it's very difficult to do on the roadside as they are not allowed to dismantle anything, is if you get stopped for something else.

Last edited:
Yep. Highly unlikely to ever be stopped. Same for window tints, etc. All these things might get checked if stopped for a valid reason but unlikely to be the reason to be stopped.

Has anyone heard of anybody ever being stopped by the police because their headlights were too bright ?
It's not so much the risk of getting stopped.

The problem arises if your car is involved in a collision that results in your Insurance Co sending out an assessor. You can guess the rest...

It's not so much the risk of getting stopped.

The problem arises if your car is involved in a collision that results in your Insurance Co sending out an assessor. You can guess the rest...
That's a "what if" situation and I don't live my life by what ifs.
I doubt very much if they would check the headlamp bulbs as the result of a collision. They're looking for the scrap value, price to repair and/or possible cause of the collision, how would headlamp bulbs cause a collision. ?
They would have a long day in court if they tried.

how would headlamp bulbs cause a collision.

Not saying they would. But if, after being involved in a collision that wasn't your fault even, you are discovered as having fitted illegal, fundamental parts such as headlamp bulbs, you might find your policy voided. That then also has consequences next time you come to insure a vehicle.

And if a drunken fool coming towards you veered into your path and claimed that it was because you dazzled him/her, you'd be up before the local beak.

There's a difference between not living by what if's, and deliberately flouting the law under the auspices of "they've got to catch me first".

I doubt very much if they would check the headlamp bulbs as the result of a collision. They're looking for the scrap value, price to repair and/or possible cause of the collision, how would headlamp bulbs cause a collision. ?

What the insurance companies are looking for is a reason not to pay. Hi
I cannot believe that anyone can claim not to live their lives by “what ifs”! What if you didn’t look out for other traffic? What if you didn’t eat or drink? What if you walked out of a shop without paying? What if you didn’t allow yourself or your children get vaccinated? ( I threw that one in to be controversial😁). One’s whole life is controlled by what ifs.

I cannot believe that anyone can claim not to live their lives by “what ifs”

Respectfully, @Exdro , I said there's a difference between 'what if's', and flouting the law, which is a choice.

I'm not trying to rattle any cages here, just offering my view in order that such choices might be an informed one.

Respectfully, @Exdro , I said there's a difference between 'what if's', and flouting the law, which is a choice.

I'm not trying to rattle any cages here, just offering my view in order that such choices might be an informed one.
Hi, my reply was to an earlier statement from someone else who said “I don’t live my life by what ifs” : not to your very sensible statement. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom