Legal LEDs for MG ZS EV

Reygun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Came across a video from a Norwegian guy who claims this set of LEDs is recommended by his dealer. Apparently no problems passing car inspection with those in Norway...
1613428090870.png

This is going to have to be one of the first things I change on our new ZS EV. Really don't like the stock halogen lamps. They're literally night and day compared to the full led array we had on our Cupra.
I'm tempted by these Auxbeam ones but what spec do I need to check, just that it's a 9005 compatible bulb ?

I suggest you get Koyoso HB3 9005 LED bulbs from Amazon. I installed them and recommended them on here - they ended up selling out on Amazon for a time because so many of our members bought the same bulbs 😁

They're 20,000 lumens and bright white without any blue tinge. Nobody who's had them on here have had issues with other road users flashing them etc. They have a crisp, clean cut off and zero glare 👍🏻

No. These are only the 12,000 lumens. They seem to have sold out again of the HB3 20,000 lumen bulbs.

Failing that Twenty20 led bulbs are great and have a 3 year warranty.

I ended up getting the 12,000 lumens 6000k Koyoso leds that I linked before, as I couldn't find the higher powered ones being sold anywhere in the UK anymore.

I'm not sure I'd want anything brighter tbh and these ones are pretty decent. Couple of photos below of before and after. I much prefer the brighter, whiter and crisper light of the leds...
and yes I did manage to break one of the 4 little clips off changing the bulbs...Doh !

Dipped Beam on OEM halogens.
IMG_20210227_190349.jpg

Full beam on OEM halogens.
IMG_20210227_190430.jpg

Dipped beam with Koyoso 12,000 lumens LEDs.
IMG_20210301_191308.jpg

Full beam with Koyoso 12,000 lumens LEDs.
IMG_20210301_191314.jpg

External view showing DRLs and headlights are a pretty close match now.
IMG_20210301_193346.jpg

just had my old car for MOT today and i asked about LED headlights he said they are a MOT fail if fitted to a car not designed to have them he also said something about having to have headlight washers ?

You don't have to have headlight washers with LED headlights. You also don't need them for xenon if they're below a certain power either - Suzuki and Hyundai have had recent cars with xenons with no headlight cleaning functions.

You don't have to have headlight washers with LED headlights. You also don't need them for xenon if they're below a certain power either - Suzuki and Hyundai have had recent cars with xenons with no headlight cleaning functions.
just what the guy at the test centre said so is he wrong in saying they are a MOT fail ?

just what the guy at the test centre said so is he wrong in saying they are a MOT fail ?
If the LED bulbs are fitted to a non-LED designed headlamp, then strictly speaking, they are a fail. If it's a headlamp designed to accept LED (say a properly designed aftermarket replacement) then it shouldn't be.

If memory serves, aftermarket HID may also be a fail.

What's the story with the filament bulbs filled with Xenon gas rather than halogen ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom