Lights will not turn off when I lock the car

Laurie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
SO, all of a sudden this morning, I get to work, get out, lock the car and notice my lights are still on! I've had to turn off the "auto" switch on the lights, but I like the function of auto, and the fact they are not turning off I'd imagine means there is now an issue. Anyone else experience this?

This is covered by another thread detailing the extra sensitivity of the sensor. Solutions offered include removing the sensor cover (on the dashboard) to replacing it with a printed cover. Use the search option to see more.

Agreed.

@Laurie Have you checked to make sure all the doors are shut properly - including the boot and bonnet? Do you get any beeps when locking the car?

Agreed.

@Laurie Have you checked to make sure all the doors are shut properly - including the boot and bonnet? Do you get any beeps when locking the car?
Was actually the first thing I checked, I even got back in and drove it again to make sure no errors, parked, locked and same nonsense. I'll have to check the "sensor" as suggested above...first I gotta figure out where it is loll

It's not the sensor, forget it. The lights should not be on when they are set at auto and the car is locked, full stop. (I did have them stay on once when I had the lights at manual on, and I locked the car, mind you.)

It won't be that sensor ... but since you ask, it's the raised "lump" central to the dash right under the windscreen. :)

Could this be the "Follow me home" function mentioned in the manual?

Follow Me Home
After the vehicle is powered off on the Infotainment display,
pull the light lever switch towards the steering wheel. This
will enable the Follow Me Home function, and dipped beam
headlamps and side lamps will illuminate. Follow Me Home
can be set opening and closing in the "Vehicle Settings"
interface on the infotainment display.

I think in the OP he said that he had to switch the lights off manually (from being on auto) so unless he's got the positions of the switches wrong (not impossible, I've done that), that isn't the issue.

Could this be the "Follow me home" function mentioned in the manual?
I have this on always, but this is the first time they lights just will not go off.

I think in the OP he said that he had to switch the lights off manually (from being on auto) so unless he's got the positions of the switches wrong (not impossible, I've done that), that isn't the issue.
I'm a "she" lol, but yes, I never trouble the switches. I have had to use that switch to turn them completely off however or I'd probably not be getting very far later due to zero battery lol.

I have the opposite problem to most people, my lights don't come on early enough, ie as it gets dark they seem to come on later than I expect, and especially in daylight rain. I therefore often override the auto setting and slide the switch left, to "manual headlights on".

What is really bad is that these lights then don't go off when the car is lockked. It's the first car ever (well, since about 1985) that putting the headlights on manually doesn't result in them going off when the car is turned off and locked.

I have this on always, but this is the first time they lights just will not go off.

I'm a "she" lol, but yes, I never trouble the switches. I have had to use that switch to turn them completely off however or I'd probably not be getting very far later due to zero battery lol.
When you put them to automatic there is a message on the screen...I had this problem after the car was valeted and they moved the car from automatic....I was walking away expecting the lights to go off but they didn't until I came back and fiddled with the switch 😇😬

Hopefully you solved the problem...?

I have the opposite problem to most people, my lights don't come on early enough, ie as it gets dark they seem to come on later than I expect, and especially in daylight rain. I therefore often override the auto setting and slide the switch left, to "manual headlights on".

What is really bad is that these lights then don't go off when the car is lockked. It's the first car ever (well, since about 1985) that putting the headlights on manually doesn't result in them going off when the car is turned off and locked.
The actual headlights go off it's the parking lights that stay on as designed and it's the same for any car when you put the light switch to on.

I have a new MG4EV. The side lights won't turn off. I think that I have tried everything. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

I've only just worked out how to turn the lights back to auto after turning them to off, without restarting the car, you just flick the switch to off again, so it's basically a toggle switch. ☺️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back