Little pockmarks on bonnet

QLeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Herself said to me the other day "I see we must have picked up a stone chip on the bonnet." Well, that's to be expected, but today I asked her to show me where, and I find that the bonnet has numerous little +- 1mm white pockmarks. They're scattered everywhere, to the extent that we would have noticed if it was physical. Each little hole is white (the car is black) and is deep enough to catch a fingernail. There are even some on the vertical sides of the bonnet, where it changes shape.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how best to approach the dealer about this? It looks like a paintwork problem in the factory to me.

Herself said to me the other day "I see we must have picked up a stone chip on the bonnet." Well, that's to be expected, but today I asked her to show me where, and I find that the bonnet has numerous little +- 1mm white pockmarks. They're scattered everywhere, to the extent that we would have noticed if it was physical. Each little hole is white (the car is black) and is deep enough to catch a fingernail. There are even some on the vertical sides of the bonnet, where it changes shape.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how best to approach the dealer about this? It looks like a paintwork problem in the factory to me.

Can you take a picture please

Can you take a picture please
Oh sure. Should have done that first.

I have what I think are normal sized fingers, so used pointing, for scale.

Attachments

• StevanPics-134117-05032024.jpg
    StevanPics-134117-05032024.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 77
  • StevanPics-134051-05032024.jpg
    StevanPics-134051-05032024.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 74
  • StevanPics-134028-05032024.jpg
    StevanPics-134028-05032024.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 67
  • StevanPics-134005-05032024.jpg
    StevanPics-134005-05032024.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 77
Your local road is basically a dirt track, yes? They look like stone chips where the top coat has been removed and you're seeing the primer coat.

Your local road is basically a dirt track, yes? They look like stone chips where the top coat has been removed and you're seeing the primer coat.
No, it's not a dirt track, it's a single track. I agree it looks like stone chips, but on the side of the bonnet? Also, we would absolutely had known had we been hit with so many chips. I haven't counted them all, but there are at least a dozen I know of.

They look like stone chips to me, try touching them up and see what they look like, otherwise try a mobile company likes Chipsaway

They look like stone chips to me, try touching them up and see what they look like, otherwise try a mobile company likes Chipsaway
Thanks. Not sure if it's easier to stomach if they are physical damage or a duff bonnet (I had a landie whose back door paint pretty much flaked off in the first 6 months, so maybe I'm over-sensitised). Just weird because I'm sure we would have heard stones clattering off the bonnet, there are that many.

Next question - does anyone know if Proper MG Touch-up paint is available?

I had a quick look at Chipsaway, but their nearest base of operations is 200 miles away.

You've been driving these roads on several cars, haven't you? I presume you'd have noticed if other cars had had that happen to them? What about the track from the road-end to your actual house?

I got a touch-up pen from PaintNuts although I haven't actually had to use it. If you have the paint code then I think they're pretty good. If the marks are small, just drop a spot in each one? I'm sure others have outlined how to do it in other threads.

You've been driving these roads on several cars, haven't you? I presume you'd have noticed if other cars had had that happen to them? What about the track from the road-end to your actual house?

Maybe get a touch-up pen from PaintNuts or somewhere and go over the marks?
Yes, we've been here permanently for 16 years and not seen this before. Our previous car absolutely did get a stone chip, and wow, did we know about it when it hit. That was a time when they were re-doing the main road beyond the single track.
Yes, we do have 400m of dirt track to our house, but we don't follow other cars up a road that you can barely do 20mph on, (it's very steep in one place), so that can't be a cause.

I suppose I was wondering whether I should get the dealer's opinion as to whether it looked like a paintwork defect, and whether something proper could be done about it. If it's like this in 9 months, it won't last very long.

Not been anywhere near a gritter even one coming the other way?
Ah, that's a point. We did go past one some time back, but we've don that loads of times before. Could that really create that sort of damage? Neither us or the gritter would have been doing more than 40 or so.

I've been near plenty gritters this winter and haven't noticed anything on Caliban.

If it's all over the bonnet, but just that one panel, and you think it's a defect in the paint, it could be worth getting just the bonnet resprayed professionally. I had Caliban's right front wheel-arch done when he unaccountably picked up a nasty scuff, and the whole thing was under £250. Yes, ouch, but I thought it was worth it to keep him in pristine condition.

Yes if it's a defect in the paint then MG should fix it but we all know that isn't a given. But if it is a defect then having it resprayed would presumably leave you with non-faulty paintwork.

You could visit a good body/paint shop and ask their opinion. If they say it's a manufacturing defect you have good support going back to the dealer, if they say stone chips, so will the dealer.

Last edited:
Ah, that's a point. We did go past one some time back, but we've don that loads of times before. Could that really create that sort of damage? Neither us or the gritter would have been doing more than 40 or so.
In my early driving days I took my metro (well Rover 100) to Hull when it decided to snow, I overtook a few gritters on the motorway. It made this exact type of damage all over the front of nightfire red. Since then I’ve dreaded gritters !

The metro never did more than about 60 and the gritter would also have been going in same direction so over all wouldn’t have been mad speed.

I have read stories of gritter lories doing quite a bit of damage to paintwork, headlights, even radiators but these I believe are extreme cases where the car has been following way too close or maybe going too fast with an oncoming gritter very close

So I’d say it isn’t impossible but my main worry is when the gritters are out is regularly wash the car if you notice the grit/salt building up on the car. More so if you have a few minor dents/scratches & the salt is left to work its way in let’s say

As someone mentioned, I’d definitely just pop the car in to a known bodywork/repair shop, just get their opinion because if they say stone chips then no doubt MG will say the same

If it is just stone chips & your bonnet is unlucky to be taking the worst of it I’ve seen people recommend Paint Protection Film, it’s a clear vinyl , some people have their cars completely wrapped in it ( it’s NOT cheap though ) but it does offer protection ( not 100% ) from chips, scratches etc

Good luck 👍

Thanks for all the comments. All much appreciated. I'll try a body shop. There is one in Ullapool who are very good though eye wateringly expensive - they once charged me £150 to colour match the back of a door mirror! But I'll also talk to the dealer, who seemed pretty good. Perhaps what's harder to stomach is we succumbed to the sales talk and sprang for the Supagard treatment. I wonder what that's supposed to do. Oh well...

Caliban is the first non-metallic paint car I have had. I'm actually very pleased with the way the paintwork has held up over the winter and it doesn't seem to be getting caked in muck the way previous cars have done. I was inclined to credit the Supaguard (I also succumbed) but maybe it's the non-metallic finish?

Caliban is the first non-metallic paint car I have had. I'm actually very pleased with the way the paintwork has held up over the winter and it doesn't seem to be getting caked in muck the way previous cars have done. I was inclined to credit the Supaguard (I also succumbed) but maybe it's the non-metallic finish?
I had a red non metallic Ford Kuga years back & always found a non metallic easier to keep clean. Wax/polish seemed to go on/off easier

& I looked at your colour when choosing my MG + the Volcano Orange but the wife decided Camden Grey would suit us better 😂

I had a red non metallic Ford Kuga years back & always found a non metallic easier to keep clean. Wax/polish seemed to go on/off easier

& I looked at your colour when choosing my MG + the Volcano Orange but the wife decided Camden Grey would suit us better 😂
Ooh, lucky. We're very happy with Goth Leo, but our ideal preference would have been for a grey one. We were in the right place at the right time, and it was a choice of white or black, or a 5-6 months wait.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back