LKA after software update.

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So my dealer recently updated my LKA after I complained about it, and my first impression is that it feels better now. It doesn't react as much, and when it reacts, it simply isn't as aggressive anymore. It's spring where I live, so there is no snow on the road, so I will have to do some more testing when it's snowy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Allegedly I had mine done a while back and it is still terrible. I forgot to turn it off on a short trip on Saturday and where they were doing roadworks on the motorway it must have activated at least 4 times in the space of a couple of minutes. Lanes were narrow and no way I could turn it off safely on the move. It's shockingly bad (and I've driven plenty of other cars with LKA and have not had an issue with them).

If it’s anything like the TJA on my car, after the upgrade, it needs about 200 miles of driving to fully re-learn.
So if you are in the habit of always switching it off it will never get better.
In the case of the TJA that not just placebo: first few miles I drove on the same roads as before it would not recognise lanes at all. Then it started following left hand bends but not right hand bends.
Then it started to hold lanes even on crest of hills.
And the most recent trip around the m25 did 80 miles without me interfering once.

How would LKA learn? What driver behaviours could it key off to either reduce false positives or activate where it wouldn't have previously? I'm both doubtful, and seeing an opportunity to do science to see if I can calm it "TF" down with some manipulative inputs... 😉

If it’s anything like the TJA on my car, after the upgrade, it needs about 200 miles of driving to fully re-learn.
Do you have any reference to backup that observation please? (I don't believe any function in the MG4 has any "learning" facility).

Do you have any reference to backup that observation please? (I don't believe any function in the MG4 has any "learning" facility).
Well, we do know that when you have a new windscreen the camera has to recalibrate by being driven on roads according to a specific test plan.

So the ability is there but yes, I haven't heard about user-accessible learning modes.

I don’t have any actual data to corroborate my findings.
But just my own experience.
Maybe it’s just a recalibration thing, but the difference between the first few miles after the update and the most recent trip on the same roads is pretty much night and day.

on day one after the update the TJA
could not follow a bend to the right. Only to the left.
I even thought it was broken. After using the TJA for several thousand miles on trips all over the country and even in France.
I was that worried I thought of taking it back to the dealer. At speeds above 40mph it would just get lost.
So one afternoon I decided I had enough of this and I took the car on the same section of motorway and dual carriageway back and forth for about 50 miles. To prove whether it was broken essentially and needed to be fixed.
Eventually it started to follow right hand bends more and more often. But as soon as approaching a crest, it would disengage.
I kept going, giving corrections until it ‘learnt’ to do them.
Then it was some of junctions where it would insist on veering left or right.
I let it veer off into the adjacent lanes a few times, just to see what would happen. Obviously when there was no traffic next to me.
That did the trick: it stopped just veering off to the side randomly.
And during the most recent trip I learnt that small constant but gentle pressure on the steering wheel to the left or to the right allows the self correction to improve further without completely disengaging.

Last edited:
I've been interested in Bricktop's thread about "abusing the TJA". He was reporting that it was behaving at least as well as the Tesla auto-driving facility and he's had a Tesla so he should know. I tried it and the bloody thing was trying to wrench the steering wheel out of my hands.

I've not had the update, and Bricktop's car is a lot newer than mine, so might have newer software.

Did some more driving today. Barely noticed the LKA, and when I did, the reaction was legit. Don't know if it'll act like crap once snow and ice is back, but it was terrible without snow before the update.

BCM update also solved the "night mode" turning back on when the sun goes behind a cloud. Now it's in day mode all day.

I've had my MG4 SE LR 12 months and 10,000 miles and have never experienced LKA. It is always off and I never have needed to turn it off. Is it only some models / software updates that cause it to be on at start up?

I've had my MG4 SE LR 12 months and 10,000 miles and have never experienced LKA. It is always off and I never have needed to turn it off. Is it only some models / software updates that cause it to be on at start up?
Mine stayed off for the first year. After updates at the first service, I now need to turn it off every time.

Mine changed behaviour after its first service (and a software update). Prior to that I could turn it off and it would stay (but the distance setting had to be changed from 3 to 2 everytime to stop it braking when overtaking on motorways). Now the distance setting stays but I have to turn off LKA everytime. On the roads where I live I'm fighting the steering wheel all the time. I forgot to turn it to Alert recently. On a residential street with a 'chicane' of cars parked left and right. It steered me back towards the left hand car then 'brake tested' the car behind me as it did an emergency stop to stop me hitting the 'oncoming' car.

A road like that doesn't sound as if you'd be going more than 30 mph on ... and LKA doesn't engage until you hit 37 mph ...........

Well it happened. I was doing about 25mph. It might have been anti-collision rather than LKA but the steering wheel started to steer me back towards the first parked car then the car did an emergency stop. LKA almost spun the car on an icy road - it's the viciousness of it. My girlfriend now refuses to drive the car as she feels she's constantly fighting the car.

You didn't happen to have TJA active at the time, did you? (That will operate down to standstill).

I find it rather depressing that 18 months after launch and we are still having these conversations on an almost daily basis. LKA is frankly terrible and MG just don't seem to care.

And even if it wasn't LKA I am referring to all these so called safety systems that actually seem to make things less safe.

I had the xpower for the day while my Trophy was in for a service and the LKA and TJA were much better than my Trophy- even after all the software updates on my car. Everything was reset though so maybe after a longer drive it may recalibrate 🤞

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back