LKA resetting whilst underway cause found.

Norfunk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My wife had been complaining about the LKA and the Front collision assist turning itself on mid trip which I hadn't seen and assumed she had been mashing some keys. However we managed to capture it in action, what seems to happen is that when the car changes from day mode to night mode on the infotainment system it resets LKA and the rest to the default settings. Has anyone else seen the same behaviour and do I need to go in for an update. We are on software version R33.

Forcing the infotainment system to always be on night mode gets rid of the issue.

Sorry never noticed - But then I set mine to Dark Mode from day 1

What I had noticed - if you have to 'park' for a reason - I had to on the motorway due to 'traffic issues' & going nowhere - I had to 'set it all back up' including the heated seats/steering wheel as 'P' disengaged all and set back to default.. That should be if car is turned off set back to default surely?

It happens to me as well. Sometimes when I open and close the drivers door. Yesterday I pulled up a little way away at a toll road booth. Undo seatbelt open door lean across….. back on the road - disable LKA. GRRRRR

FWIW in that situation I would have simply manually applied the handbrake rather than press the P button. Unless you were also turning off the Infotainment screen - i.e. powering down whilst waiting then P doesn't give you any additional benefit.

Edit: this is for @JuziWomble

Last edited:
I don't notice. I set my screen to auto, I set LKA off all the time. I can see the screen change between dark and bright mode from time to time but LKA is off during driving.

FWIW in that situation I would have simply manually applied the handbrake rather than press the P button. Unless you were also turning off the Infotainment screen - i.e. powering down whilst waiting then P doesn't give you any additional benefit.

Edit: this is for @JuziWomble
Handbrake?? What handbrake? Seriously, does the UK MG4 have one - I must have been short changed.

🙄
Electronic parking brake ... the lever/button next to the gear selector dial.

1682596530409.png

I always assumed that did the same thing as the "P" button so I've never felt the need to use it.
If you use the auto-brake [Green (A) on dash] to stop, the handbrake will come on instead after 5 mins or so.
You have to tap that button to get moving again.

So you still have to disable LKA if you do not want it at each restart even with the latest OTA updates or whatever?
You cannot permanently disable it as it is still classed as a 'safety' feature?

Got it in one. It's a nuisance. But frankly when it's on it scares the willies out of me and I don't think it's safe
I believe the BYD Atto 3 EV also has LKA by default as a 'safety' feature and it operates in a similar way according to owners on their forum who complain about it.
Perhaps it applies to other EV's too but I do not know why as I have not heard of any issues with LKA on ICE vehicles. Perhaps it is not on by default in their case or can be permanently disabled which would be discrimination I suppose. :p

As Ian states this will apply to newly tested/certified vehicles with 2022 5* ncap and prob any new cars tested to future ncap ratings going forward.

The LKA on by default could be due to NCAP changing their 5 star criteria last year so only new models of cars will be required to have it.
Some manufacturers seem to care less than the others.

Hyundai, built and delivered in 2022: LKA always on on startup.
Skoda, built and delivered in 2022: LKA always on on startup.
Alfa Romeo, built and delivered in 2023: LKA off on startup.

Some manufacturers seem to care less than the others.

Hyundai, built and delivered in 2022: LKA always on on startup.
Skoda, built and delivered in 2022: LKA always on on startup.
Alfa Romeo, built and delivered in 2023: LKA off on startup.
My Sons and Daughter in laws new Seat Leon - LKA - Always on on Startup - They have a simular preflight process as I do - Disable LKA ... So its not just MG ..

Can you post a pic of the auto brake switch you refer to. I don't see anything like that on any of the menus.
As you wish (It's the one on the left of this pic)
s-l1600.jpg

It's when you hold down the brake pedal until the green (A) appears on the dash.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel