Locked inside my mg zs ev

StevoNSW

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,
I see there have been some posts about getting locked out of cars and needing to use the emergency key when the smart key won't work, but I got locked in when the smart key failed and I was sitting randomly pressing buttons to get it to work..then it wouldn't unlock ...and the alarm started. Several minutes and a lot of panicked button pressing later (it was getting hot inside), it unlocked and I jumped out, but couldn't lock it again. It was parked at an airport, and I had a flight to catch, so I am guessing that the problem might be interference from nearby towers, as no indication the the key fob battery (tried the spare fob with the same result) or 12 v battery are low. When I get back, I will try with the key in the cupholder position, but if that doesn't work, I may have to get towed out I guess? The experience of being stuck inside my car in a place where temps can get to 40 degrees C has focused my mind on ways to get out on a hurry. I have ordered the resQme tool, but a manual release on rear hatch or roof hatch would be good....

Could you not put it in to ready mode or open windows use handle from outside take it you used the unlock button on the door on the inside?

Yes - nothing was working at all - windows, inside handle or outside handle - the alarm attracted a passer by who tried from the outside, and I was having a good go from the inside. Then it suddenly went into normal startup mode - screen appeared and doors unlocked, so I got out ...

Bit difficult to disconnect the 12v battery from inside the car.....
Another use for the Big Red Button!

Hi all,
I see there have been some posts about getting locked out of cars and needing to use the emergency key when the smart key won't work, but I got locked in when the smart key failed and I was sitting randomly pressing buttons to get it to work..then it wouldn't unlock ...and the alarm started. Several minutes and a lot of panicked button pressing later (it was getting hot inside), it unlocked and I jumped out, but couldn't lock it again. It was parked at an airport, and I had a flight to catch, so I am guessing that the problem might be interference from nearby towers, as no indication the the key fob battery (tried the spare fob with the same result) or 12 v battery are low. When I get back, I will try with the key in the cupholder position, but if that doesn't work, I may have to get towed out I guess? The experience of being stuck inside my car in a place where temps can get to 40 degrees C has focused my mind on ways to get out on a hurry. I have ordered the resQme tool, but a manual release on rear hatch or roof hatch would be good....
You took both keys to the airport on your way to a flight?

I believe there is a manual boot release behind the boot door fascia panel.. quite how you get at it I'm not sure....

You took both keys to the airport on your way to a flight?

I believe there is a manual boot release behind the boot door fascia panel.. quite how you get at it I'm not sure....
No, but I manged to get my partner to go to the airport after I'd left and try it with the other key, and same result..
I will investigate the boot inner panel when I get back...

Don't think my car (2021) is supported by the app... at least not the Aus version..

Happy end though - returned today and although the smart key still wouldn't lock or unlock the doors, when it was in the emergency position in the cupholder, the car started OK. The wing mirrors stayed tucked in until I got down the road a way, then opened out - peculiar...

If the rest of the car is unresponsive to even doorlock & window switches I'd be rather surprised if another layer of "economy tech" added over the top would make things any better...
Different communication to the car. One is a radio fob signal. One is a mobile phone signal.

You should have been able to pop the manual blade out and lock the car manually, on the driver's door.

The bit that confuses me is a double pull on the inside door handle should be analogue 1st pull unlocks the door 2nd pull opens it

Don't think my car (2021) is supported by the app... at least not the Aus version..

Happy end though - returned today and although the smart key still wouldn't lock or unlock the doors, when it was in the emergency position in the cupholder, the car started OK. The wing mirrors stayed tucked in until I got down the road a way, then opened out - peculiar...
StevoNSW, I have experienced the same issue with a person being locked inside the car. The only way they were able to get out was when someone unlocked the door manually from outside. Have you had any response from MG to this issue?

Car enters antitheft mode which disables the double pull
How do you disable the anti theft mode if the utility battery is low? Having a person locked in a car does not seem a very safe thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom