Locked out with keys in the boot !

midician

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My wife opened up the rear hatch yesterday and put in her handbag with the car keys into the boot. Closed rear hatch.

When she tried to open the driver door- it was locked, and so was the rear hatch !

We mistakenly assumed that the keys in the car would allow access to the vehicle due to the proximity of the key. WRONG!

Thankfully it wasnt too far from home and I was able to rescue her with the spare key.

I could not find any information in the manual about the proximity settings for unlocking the car. Any ideas?

My wife opened up the rear hatch yesterday and put in her handbag with the car keys into the boot. Closed rear hatch.

When she tried to open the driver door- it was locked, and so was the rear hatch !

We mistakenly assumed that the keys in the car would allow access to the vehicle due to the proximity of the key. WRONG!

Thankfully it wasnt too far from home and I was able to rescue her with the spare key.

I could not find any information in the manual about the proximity settings for unlocking the car. Any ideas?
its happened to a few people, AFAIK the key has to be outside the car to unlock/lock the boot and doors, ironically its to prevent the key being locked in the car! :O

I put my jacket with the keys in it, in the boot after I had been in the front of the car today and when I shut the boot went to open the dirt to find the doors locked I must have accidentally locked the car when I went to the boot I could not get it to open. My phone was in the car, thankfully I could use my watch to call for assistance with the only issue being that I was 55miles from home.

Niece I got into the car and got home eventually after my wife had to drive up with the spare keys. I tried it at home and I put the keys in the boot and shut it and it wouldn’t lock I repeated this about 10 times and it did not lock every time, not sure how this happens but it was no fun especially as I had four girls whom had been playing football in windy and cold conditions..

Similar experience as you BowrieMG. I accidentally left my keys in my coat in the boot. I then closed the tailgate with them inside and when I went to lock the car by pressing the front door handle button, the car wouldn't lock. Obviously to prevent the key being locking inside the car. Therefore operating as the software should.

I wonder if the software has a bug. Maybe if the car is ALREADY locked and THEN the tailgate is opened, the key left in the boot and the tailgate is shut, if the software doesn't prevent the tailgate closing and locking. If that's the case, the software has yet another bug. In this scenario the tailgate should be prevented from shutting/locking.

I personally know someone with a HS PHEV, like others put their coat in the boot with the key in it and got locked out. They had to call the AA to gain access to the car as they were hundreds of miles away from home.

Happened to Mrs Simondi yesterday, luckily I was at home and was able to get the spare set to her

What about getting a couple of spare key blades cut, then keep just the blades in your wallet / purse ?.
This will allow you access into the car to collect your key left in the boot !.
You just need 2xOff blade’s not the whole fob.
Really useful if you lock the keys in the boot a long way from home !.

I did a bit of testing on this when I saw the thread and it might just be mine but if I unlock the boot without unlocking the car first I noticed now and again the boot light won't come on , this is usually the 1st lock after resting for about 5 ish mins , when the boot light didn't turn on the car would lock with the keys in , when I tested this it was unlocked with the key fob boot button, points to another software error on the car
if you ask me as every time the boot light comes on I could not get the car to lock the keys in

Last edited:

My wife did this also , but after a software configuration this was no longer possible. Get dealer to reconfigure software and try yourself at home with the same senero but you key at home inside .

Locked myself similarly today. The car was locked and I opened the boot and put the bag in the boot and closed it. Keys in the bag. Tried to unlock and it just wouldn’t.
Had to wait an hour and half for my other half to come with second set of keys

Locked myself similarly today. The car was locked and I opened the boot and put the bag in the boot and closed it. Keys in the bag. Tried to unlock and it just wouldn’t.
Had to wait an hour and half for my other half to come with second set of keys
"Top Tip" - Take your manual emergency blade key from your fob and get another spare blade cut.
Then put the spare blade in your wallet, it only fairly small.
If you lock your keys in the boot, you can then use the spare blade in your wallet to open the drivers door.
Only if you lock your wallet and your keys in the boot, will you be buggered :ROFLMAO: !.

"Top Tip" - Take your manual emergency blade key from your fob and get another spare blade cut.
Then put the spare blade in your wallet, it only fairly small.
If you lock your keys in the boot, you can then use the spare blade in your wallet to open the drivers door.
Only if you lock your wallet and your keys in the boot, will you be buggered :ROFLMAO: !.
Need to figure out hours to open the driver side door with key. Something for tomorrow

Need to figure out hours to open the driver side door with key. Something for tomorrow
You need to use the key to remove the cover to the left of the handle, by putting the blade into the slot in the underside of the cover and use it to lever it if this allows access to use the key to open the car. I didn’t have the blade with me when it happened, well I maybe did but it would have been in the boot. Common sense would say to get a spare cut as previously advised but that is fine with hindsight. I have never carried a spare key for any car in my wallet. I just make sure the key fob is in my trouser pocket and not my jacket my issue was that I had been in the car as I put my phone in the front and I then opened the boot and put my jacket in the boot and shut it at which point the car locked when it locked I am unsure I can only think is that I somehow inadvertently locked it and hadn’t noticed. When I tried it at home opening the boot when the car was locked and put one key in the boot and shut it the boot did not lock and I could open it and retrieve the fob….

Need to find where to get the key cut, not sure if your normal key cutters can rebate out keys from bar stock, suggestions?
If you do get one cut it may be advisable to put it in a magnetised key box stuck under the car somewhere. The mag boxes were available in the '60's

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom