Locked out with keys in the boot !

Similar experience as you BowrieMG. I accidentally left my keys in my coat in the boot. I then closed the tailgate with them inside and when I went to lock the car by pressing the front door handle button, the car wouldn't lock. Obviously to prevent the key being locking inside the car. Therefore operating as the software should.

I wonder if the software has a bug. Maybe if the car is ALREADY locked and THEN the tailgate is opened, the key left in the boot and the tailgate is shut, if the software doesn't prevent the tailgate closing and locking. If that's the case, the software has yet another bug. In this scenario the tailgate should be prevented from shutting/locking.
I have a jaguar e pace that I'm exchanging for a HS and that allows you to open the tailgate while the car is locked and if you close the tailgate with your keys in the boot you've had it without a spare key so it's not just the MG

Popped into the Timsons key place in our local Sainsbury's and showed him my pull out 'Key' and asked if he could make a new one. He said that his kiosk was to small to hold the stock needed, but he thought that the larger kiosk in ASDA could make one, but not with the twist/pull handle but on a normal bar type key.
I will drop by ASDA and check if he was right. It would be handy to know you have a spare hidden for emergencies, or brain failure.....

Popped into the Timsons key place in our local Sainsbury's and showed him my pull out 'Key' and asked if he could make a new one. He said that his kiosk was to small to hold the stock needed, but he thought that the larger kiosk in ASDA could make one, but not with the twist/pull handle but on a normal bar type key.
I will drop by ASDA and check if he was right. It would be handy to know you have a spare hidden for emergencies, or brain failure.....
Let us know if you get a result !.
If the blade is of a common type, then there should not be a issue cutting a copy.
Getting the blank blade is the problem - or maybe not ?.

My wife opened up the rear hatch yesterday and put in her handbag with the car keys into the boot. Closed rear hatch.

When she tried to open the driver door- it was locked, and so was the rear hatch !

We mistakenly assumed that the keys in the car would allow access to the vehicle due to the proximity of the key. WRONG!

Thankfully it wasnt too far from home and I was able to rescue her with the spare key.

I could not find any information in the manual about the proximity settings for unlocking the car. Any ideas?
Just happened to me, keen to see what replies you had.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom