locking the car

meveringham

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
When I lock the car by using the driver's side door button (and it's set to lock/unlock only the driver's door in settings), it often doesn't lock with a single press and I usually have to press the door button twice for it to lock, turn off the headlights and infotainment system, etc, or go around the car opening and closing each door in turn to make sure they're properly closed, before the car will lock again. I've found too that if the car is not on auto lighting, it won't lock either.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, can't see it in the manual, can anyone shed some light?

Im certain I once saw a video review which said you lock by pressing twice and open by pressing once.

Im certain I once saw a video review which said you lock by pressing twice and open by pressing once.
Sorry got it wrong. Other way around. Once to lock and twice to open. See vid below around 3.20 mark.

The video is misleading...watch his finger press once to open..one press...press twice to open...one press. So he is saying 1st press open 2nd press shut in my opinion...have a look
Actually I thought same when I looked at it. Was counting his actions rather than "the" actions.

My buttons have worked with a single press all the time, one for lock one for unlock but yesterday my passengers door button has stopped working. not sure if its frozen or what.

My guess is it has frozen.

Mine are probably frozen too as I've never used them - always used the key fob. :)

My buttons have worked with a single press all the time, one for lock one for unlock but yesterday my passengers door button has stopped working. not sure if its frozen or what.
I had the same was frozen, there was a subtle click on drives door that worked and not the passenger. Saw this so thought could do with proving it's frozen, gentle application of a hair driver (took a while as didn't want to apply full heat), now back to working and has the same click.

I had the same was frozen, there was a subtle click on drives door that worked and not the passenger. Saw this so thought could do with proving it's frozen, gentle application of a hair driver (took a while as didn't want to apply full heat), now back to working and has the same click.
A quick squirt with silicon spray once defrosted will help prevent it icing up again.
That reminds me. Must spay the locks, folding mirrors etc on my current car.

Some turn off auto folding mirrors in the winter months..can it be done on the MG4?
Yes, I have done it to stop them being damaged when frozen. I can't remember where the setting is but it was easy to find. You can still manually retract them by pushing down on the mirror adjust joystick.

I've also seen inconsistent behaviour when locking. Sometimes one press is sufficient, other times I need to press twice. I've not figured out why and when there's a difference.
Unlocking is always one press.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel