London congestion charge exemption

Saima

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, very new user here, got my ZS EV just a couple of days ago. Loving the drive so far.
Also finding this forum really helpful, thank you!

Is there anyone on here from London? And have you managed to register your car for the tfl congestion charge exemption? I tried on the website but it wouldn't recognise my car reg and it isn't clear where/ how I should apply. I also know its a £10 charge (although I don't really understand what this charge is for), but nowhere on the page does it confirm that its for EVs.

Grateful to get some steer, perhaps I've missed some obvious link....

Thanks in advance

i have got my 5 EV on the congestion charge discount.

electric cars have a 100% discount untill 2025.

the £10 is a registration fee, and is payable each year

it is under the Cleaner vehicle discount

i have got my 5 EV on the congestion charge discount.

electric cars have a 100% discount untill 2025.

the £10 is a registration fee, and is payable each year

it is under the Cleaner vehicle discount
Great, thank you for this. I think maybe the tfl database hasn't updated as it doesn't recognise my car as an ev. I'll give it a few more days, hopefully it works

Hi all, very new user here, got my ZS EV just a couple of days ago. Loving the drive so far.
Also finding this forum really helpful, thank you!

Is there anyone on here from London? And have you managed to register your car for the tfl congestion charge exemption? I tried on the website but it wouldn't recognise my car reg and it isn't clear where/ how I should apply. I also know its a £10 charge (although I don't really understand what this charge is for), but nowhere on the page does it confirm that its for EVs.

Grateful to get some steer, perhaps I've missed some obvious link....

Thanks in advance
I've registered successfully, although because it took so long to get the V5 copy from the lease company (apparently down to dealer incompetence - the lease company has now switched its supplying dealer as a result) there was no issue with the reg number appearing on the database...

The £10 charge is for 'admin', apparently...:unsure:

But it all worked and yes, it's been great not to have to worry about keeping clear of the zone, accidentally straying into it - and, of course, being able to drive right into central London without being charged for it.

The EV exemption will stop in December 2025.

I've registered successfully, although because it took so long to get the V5 copy from the lease company (apparently down to dealer incompetence - the lease company has now switched its supplying dealer as a result) there was no issue with the reg number appearing on the database...

But it all worked and yes, it's been great not to have to worry about keeping clear of the zone, accidentally straying into it - and, of course, being able to drive right into central London without being charged for it.

Thanks for this, helpful to know that it does work. I actually got my V5 before the car (Eastcote service centre not very competent and took ages unfortunately), but hoping by next week it will work.

The £10 charge - I'm still not clear why this is payable, the car is exempt so there should be no admin required. Not a biggie as its a small amount for the benefit, but just the principle of it really :)

And be careful with your route planning - I got surrounded by cycle and cab routes at peak hours - £65 for straying into Lombard Street, no excuses and £130 if you don't pay inside 28 days 😕 . Thank you Mayor of London

And be careful with your route planning - I got surrounded by cycle and cab routes at peak hours - £65 for straying into Lombard Street, no excuses and £130 if you don't pay inside 28 days 😕 . Thank you Mayor of London
Just play their game. Don't go there. Watch London become a wasteland. :)

Thanks, and this might be the case. The dealer registered my car last week, I'll give it a few more days, hopefully the database catches up

The tfl website is useless and out of date - I have just used their checker for my car and it still shows I need to pay the congestion charge despite having a letter from tfl confirming the 100% discount has been applied to my car!!!!

(I see you use WLMG at Eastcote, same as me - how do you find them?)

And, as an EV driver in Westminster you only need to pay for 10 minutes parking and stay for the full duration of the parking bay. Enjoy.

Call it a TfL tax then...🤣

The tfl website is useless and out of date - I have just used their checker for my car and it still shows I need to pay the congestion charge despite having a letter from tfl confirming the 100% discount has been applied to my car!!!!

(I see you use WLMG at Eastcote, same as me - how do you find them?)
I got an email from tfl earlier saying that as my car was electric that it would be exempt from the congestion charge, but I was still required to upload the V5 - to prove something that they themselves are telling me! Very strange.... I have now paid the £10 and uploaded the detail, so fingers crossed!
It was also annoying to note that while tfl can take up to 10 days to process my request, were I to drive into central London in the meantime the charge would not be refunded! Luckily I don't need to drive in till next month, but this is not on...

And on WLMG Eastcote, they're not really on the ball with the MGs. It took them 9 days to get my car driven to me in North London. Some of the reasons for delay include: 'it is a Nissan centre so MGs are not a priority', another one was 'the car comes with really sticky covering which takes a long time to remove', and my favourite one was 'the guy who was getting the car ready left it running and the battery is too low, and they only have a slow charger'. So not a great start! I also believe that MG have perhaps sub contracted some existing garages and provided basic training, but thats it. And a lot of these garages are learning stuff on our cars.
I did put in a formal complaint to MG, and its still going through, but if they don't play nice then I'll switch to another garage in St Albans who I understand are a bit better than Eastcote.
How long have you used Eastcote, and how good/useful have you found them??

And, as an EV driver in Westminster you only need to pay for 10 minutes parking and stay for the full duration of the parking bay. Enjoy.
Oh great! I did not know that!!
I can't figure out how to put a 'like' on comments, it didn't give me the option....

I got an email from tfl earlier saying that as my car was electric that it would be exempt from the congestion charge, but I was still required to upload the V5 - to prove something that they themselves are telling me! Very strange.... I have now paid the £10 and uploaded the detail, so fingers crossed!
It was also annoying to note that while tfl can take up to 10 days to process my request, were I to drive into central London in the meantime the charge would not be refunded! Luckily I don't need to drive in till next month, but this is not on...

And on WLMG Eastcote, they're not really on the ball with the MGs. It took them 9 days to get my car driven to me in North London. Some of the reasons for delay include: 'it is a Nissan centre so MGs are not a priority', another one was 'the car comes with really sticky covering which takes a long time to remove', and my favourite one was 'the guy who was getting the car ready left it running and the battery is too low, and they only have a slow charger'. So not a great start! I also believe that MG have perhaps sub contracted some existing garages and provided basic training, but thats it. And a lot of these garages are learning stuff on our cars.
I did put in a formal complaint to MG, and its still going through, but if they don't play nice then I'll switch to another garage in St Albans who I understand are a bit better than Eastcote.
I would change dealers anyway after the first comment.
As for the last one, leaving the car running, how many weeks did he leave it running ?
It draws negligible power when it's stood not being driven and only a small amount if the HVAC is on.

I bought mine in March 2020 just before lockdown so it didn't go very far for ages. I bought from their Marylebone showroom which shares the MG head office site so I thought they would be offering good service.

I had the Comfort 2 update done in August 2020 - their first attempt only partly installed the update so the car had to go back the following week. Before driving off this time I checked to see if the update was complete which it wasn't so they tried again! So, 3 attempts to complete the update - not a good start. They've investigated a "scrunch at low speeds" under warranty and reconfigured the forward collision detectors, although the car is going back later this month for this to be looked at again.

First annual service in March was fine but I've had issues trying to get the car booked in for them to look at a faulty HVAC fan. (There is a thread on here about it and other owners are reporting a quick warranty replacement of the resistor pack sorts it out - often done within a week or so.) Its taken 2 emails and 7 phone calls to get the car booked in. The date I have is 7 weeks after my first contact with them about it - not very impressive.

I suspect you're right when you say they are a Nissan/Kia dealership and they are learning about MG as they go along. I'm in West London so, although they are 12 miles away, its an easy trip on the A40. I do get courtesy cars from them (subject to a £15 admin fee) as getting there by public transport is a pain. They do offer a collect and return option for servicing but only within a fixed radius of Eastcote. I'm about a 10 minute walk from their Marylebone sales office so I've tried to suggest they should offer the same collect and return service from there but that has fallen on deaf ears.

My alternatives would be Bushey Heath or St Albans but both are a bit of trek so I'm a bit stuck with them.

I would change dealers anyway after the first comment.
As for the last one, leaving the car running, how many weeks did he leave it running ?
It draws negligible power when it's stood not being driven and only a small amount if the HVAC is on.
Yup! That was my reaction too. Sad really isn't it, as this spoils the excitement of getting a new car. I've asked both Eastcote and MG for answers, hopefully they get bored with ping ponging my complaint between them and someone will reply soon...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom