London Congestion Zone

GavinJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I recently went into central London in my MG5. Before going (unusually for me) I decided to check the rules on the congestion zone. I updated my account to reflect my new MG5 and was really surprised to find that I was required to pay the congestion charge for the car. Seems as if you have to register for a discount for EVs by submitting a copy of your V5 to an admin address on the London Congestion Charge site. It took about 2 days to have my application confirmed. So I am all sorted now but I wonder why the congestion database did not recognise did not recognise the 5 as an EV. Had a similar problem when I tried to insure the car earlier this year I was told the car didn't exist. Does MG not inform all the relevant authorities?

Adding to all the above that after 2025 there won't be an exemption in the Congestion Zone for EVs at all! So enjoy £10 p.a. while you can. Cyclists and pedestrians will be paying it next...

Adding to all the above that after 2025 there won't be an exemption in the Congestion Zone for EVs at all! So enjoy £10 p.a. while you can. Cyclists and pedestrians will be paying it next...
This is disgusting as the whole idea around the congestion charge was to reduce toxic fumes, what fumes do EV’s create....none and so why oh why is this Mayor forcing this through, I know because he couldn’t manage TFL finances and now we need to pay for it, another tax....

I also heard there was a low emission zone ?
Yes, there are two. The ULEZ which is the same area as the Congestion Zone though operates 24/7 of course, and a wider area of slightly less restriction, though the ULEZ is being extended to the wider area - October I think. EVs don't attract any charge (poor pun, sorry) and you don't need to register for this, all done with ANPR

I also heard there was a low emission zone ?
There are two zones, the inner and outer, but both are designed to reduce traffic and emissions. From Oct this year the Congestion Charge Zone is being extended to the North and South Circular effectively the A406 which is a massive increase and then another charge is being proposed out further for anyone entering a London Borough from outside like entering Havering...

There are two zones, the inner and outer, but both are designed to reduce traffic and emissions. From Oct this year the Congestion Charge Zone is being extended to the North and South Circular effectively the A406 which is a massive increase and then another charge is being proposed out further for anyone entering a London Borough from outside like entering Havering...
It's the ULEZ Ultra Low Emissions Zone that is being expanded in October.

It is my understanding that the plan to extend the congestion charge zone has been shelved.

The expansion of ULEZ is one reason why I replaced my 2014 diesel Passat for an MG5.

It's the ULEZ Ultra Low Emissions Zone that is being expanded in October.

It is my understanding that the plan to extend the congestion charge zone has been shelved.

The expansion of ULEZ is one reason why I replaced my 2014 diesel Passat for an MG5.
Sorry, yes, my bad... That's what I meant to say!

I got caught out on this for the first 3 weeks of ownership, now considering I work 3 days a week in Central that was quite a shock bill at the end of the month!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom