Long distance charging location suggestions

Venicon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, looking for some long distance charging location suggestions.

I live just south of Perth in Scotland and due to a sick family member we may shortly be driving down to Devon (500 miles each way!) and I wanted to ask this glorious group for any tips on how to best stop to charge.

I have used plenty of rapid charges when away for the day so not a total newbie or anything, I just wondered if there were suggestions on how to avoid having to top up £20 each time at a Service station as that will most likely cost us £100 each way. We are after rapid chargers, really. In have an MG ZS EV (1st Gen) so best case scenario is prob 150ish as my wife likes the heated seats or air on.

E.g. X brand of chargers away from the motorway service stations are quite reasonable.

We also plan stopping overnight on each way so we can do a slower charge at some points, probably between Manchester and Carlisle.

Really appreciate anyones suggestions as just trying to figure out the economics of it.

Thanks,

Grant

Hi Grant

I'm just back from a week in Devon - used Lidl Pod Points around Barnstaple (28p - although rumours they may be going to 40p). Gridserve on the motorway network tend to be 48p and considering what all the other rapids cost now 48p is very reasonable for the conveniance. If you can find any Pod Point rapids close to the motorway (Tesco, Lidl mainly) on Zap Map taht will save you a fair bit and Tescos often have loos and cafes.

Enjoy

Gloucester Services on the M5, south of Gloucester is a good stop, as is Cribbs Causeway at Bristol. Depending on which part of Devon you are travelling to, Route 303 diner between Illminster and Honiton has 2 Instavolt chargers. A really nice place to charge.

There is a new Instavolt installation at Lye Cross Farm on the A38 south of Bristol Airport. There is a lovely cafe there and because they are new not many people use them. Might be slightly off your route though.

120kW DC / £0.66 per kWh

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom