LONG DISTANCE DRIVERS - HOW DOES THE HS COPE WITH LONG DISTANCE DRIVING

I think the HS PHEV is a good cruiser with ample passenger space and power. Cabin noise is generally quiet on the motorway, might not be as good as other top end cars but certainly still very good for what it is. The front sport seats on the Exclusive look superb but we all have different body shapes, I find the seats not as comfortable after an hour or so of driving. But some other people find them comfortable though. Don’t know how the car will hold out at 100mph as top speed in UK is 70.

I’m driving to Sheffield and back Tuesday / Wednesday and then to Aberdeen on the 1st / 2nd. Should find out how comfortable it is.
Planning to use ACC both ways - unlikely to exceed 70mph though

I've done a few 200/250 mile runs in the HS, found it smooth and comfortable, better than the Outlander PHEV it replaced and with mpg in the high 30's rather than low 30's or even high 20's the Mitsubishi gave.
More responsive to the accelerator if needed, radar cruise similar but other driving aids a bonus.

Thanks, after a drive around the block test drive yesterday (how a 10 minute drive can inform a car buying decision is beyond me) i am negotiating to get a longer 24/48 hour test drive, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Must say that when I went for my test drive at Luscombe's I was given the keys and they said 'see you later' with no time limit set.
They asked if I'd had long enough when I returned a couple of hours later but I was already convinced by then.

Ours was “see you in a bit” too. I went around a mix of roads etc. Having had Outlander before helped comparison was clear

Long distance driving in the uk, in the HS I find it pretty comfortable, one the electric charge has gone then it’s a bit heavy on fuel. My biggest issue is the absolute crap infotainment system! Apple CarPlay keeps shutting down, the sat nav Doesn’t do what it says on the tin, (try getting it to show you / warn you about speed cameras!)

im almost at the point of getting a stick on phone mount and mounting my iPhone infront of the screen!

TBH I find it pretty comfortable on the 7 hour round trip I do on a regular basis however my biggest issue is the absolute crap infotainment system! Apple CarPlay keeps shutting down, the sat nav Doesn’t do what it says on the tin, (try getting it to show you / warn you about speed cameras!)

im almost at the point of getting a stick on phone mount and mounting my iPhone infront of the screen!

Thanks, that would annoy me having being used to an excellent system in my Volvo even though it is now an old tech system. Is the infotainment a software fix issue?

Thanks, that would annoy me having being used to an excellent system in my Volvo even though it is now an old tech system. Is the infotainment a software fix issue?

thought you were not going for MG.. anyho
I dont have an issue with infotainment as such. yes not the fastest thing but comparable to Outlander. CarPlay works - I have picked up wireless activator and now CarPlay starts without any issues / having the plug the phone in.

Stock SatNav was weird TBH.

Drove 500 miles between Tuesday and Wednesday and ACC was god sent.. It was miserable with rain and spray on return leg but ACC and lane assist keep going

TBH I find it pretty comfortable on the 7 hour round trip I do on a regular basis however my biggest issue is the absolute crap infotainment system! Apple CarPlay keeps shutting down, the sat nav Doesn’t do what it says on the tin, (try getting it to show you / warn you about speed cameras!)
That is because there is no speed camera database available for the satnav. I have been using this satnav for many years in my previous MG GS and now in my MG HS. The satnav of directing you from A to B is actually very good but some other functions are lacking like speed camera, searching for POIs etc. As I usually use latitude/longitude or postcode to search for places therefore it was never an issue to me.

That is because there is no speed camera database available for the satnav. I have been using this satnav for many years in my previous MG GS and now in my MG HS. The satnav of directing you from A to B is actually very good but some other functions are lacking like speed camera, searching for POIs etc. As I usually use latitude/longitude or postcode to search for places therefore it was never an issue to me.
I agree. I am quite happy using built in sat nav when doing motorway journey. It does show close-up views of junctions, exits which I find very useful.
It lacks good re-routing skills if you miss a junction. It attempts to bring you back to the same route a number of times. Waze, google maps adjust work out a completely new route quite quickly. But that is a small gripe.
EV charge point database is old and not user friendly when it comes to filtering by connector type.
As far as I know there is no support for speed cameras. Speed limits on the other hand is available but the databse is old and I seems to be missing info from at least last two years.
Overall I am not disappointed with the fact that built in sat nav is lacking in many areas because this is the case with several built in systems which are not connected.
Waze/Google maps/ or probably Apple maps( have not used it much, so cannot confidently vouch) is probably what you want to stick to.
A special shout for Waze if you like to be upto date on speed cameras, road works or road traffic incidents so that you can avoid them.

I agree. I am quite happy using built in sat nav when doing motorway journey. It does show close-up views of junctions, exits which I find very useful.
It lacks good re-routing skills if you miss a junction. It attempts to bring you back to the same route a number of times. Waze, google maps adjust work out a completely new route quite quickly. But that is a small gripe.
EV charge point database is old and not user friendly when it comes to filtering by connector type.
As far as I know there is no support for speed cameras. Speed limits on the other hand is available but the databse is old and I seems to be missing info from at least last two years.
Overall I am not disappointed with the fact that built in sat nav is lacking in many areas because this is the case with several built in systems which are not connected.
Waze/Google maps/ or probably Apple maps( have not used it much, so cannot confidently vouch) is probably what you want to stick to.
A special shout for Waze if you like to be upto date on speed cameras, road works or road traffic incidents so that you can avoid them.
Have to agree with your comments on Waze, however again very glitchy due to the infotainment/Appleplay system consistently shutting down when in use for any lengthy period of time. I’ll recheck reference the speed cameras in the satnav as I may have miss interpreted what the setting is.

Have to agree with your comments on Waze, however again very glitchy due to the infotainment/Appleplay system consistently shutting down when in use for any lengthy period of time. I’ll recheck reference the speed cameras in the satnav as I may have miss interpreted what the setting is.
Have you tried using a different cable ?? Maybe have a go with stock cable ??

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom