Long distance journey

welshlewy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I took my mg5 LR on a journey from South Wales to Eden project last week. What an absolute nightmare that was. Getting there was ok, but the way back took twice as long as it should have as there were so few chargers, and every fewer working. I really should have done my homework better and planned my journey and charging stops. From now on I’m never letting my charge drop below 40% as the range anxiety damn near took a decade off my life.

I've yet to get below 40% in my 4 days of ownership but yes, off to Birmingham next week and hoping my plan sticks!

To be fair there are lots of options in a big city like Birmingham, but I guess the Eden project is a bit more countrified!

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. This is likely to become more of an issue as the Summer progresses and EVs become a greater part of the national fleet. The only way is lots of planning and plans B, C and D. Or just increasingly large batteries..... ;)

I've yet to get below 40% in my 4 days of ownership but yes, off to Birmingham next week and hoping my plan sticks!

To be fair there are lots of options in a big city like Birmingham, but I guess the Eden project is a bit more countrified!
Yea, much better catered for than in Cornwall!

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. This is likely to become more of an issue as the Summer progresses and EVs become a greater part of the national fleet. The only way is lots of planning and plans B, C and D. Or just increasingly large batteries..... ;)
Maybe one day we’ll get portable chargers that have a decent capacity

Zap-Map and ABRP are definitely your friends for a decent sized journey. Did you visit Moto Exeter services with the new Gridserve hub?

Last edited:
I would have planned my route via Plymouth and the A38 as there’s 2 large supermarkets just off it all would have ev charging points
Lee mills Tescos , Sainsburys at Marshmills

Zap-Map and ABRP are definitely your friends for a decent sized journey. Did you visit Moto Exeter services with the new Gridserve hub?

Yes, I stopped there on the way there

Yes, I stopped there on the way there
Stopping on way there and back looks like good option - I’m now opting for big multi charger sites as much as possible to guarantee a charge. Been planning the long journey this coming Friday with multiple different options though as limited number of big hubs on route ☹️

MFG 150Kwh chargers on New John Street West, always plenty of capacity, if you're struggling to find any.
about 5 mins off spaghetti.

You'd have thought that the Eden Project, by it's very nature (pardon the pun) would have been all in on 7kW chargers for visitors parking up for the day. I would happily pay.

Seems like they have limited charging facilities though......

We have three fast electric vehicle charging points (7.2kW) in our Banana car park, which are free of charge for our visitors to use and operate on a first come, first served basis.

You can also access a rapid 50kW point in Melon car park, which is available for public use during Eden’s opening hours, and which customers pay to use. It is operated independently through ChargePoint Genie

Last edited:
I appreciate the concept of range anxiety and maintaining charge higher than 40% but I’ve been as low as 4 in my ev5
Last week I had about 5 miles left before I rolled into Morrisons. If that charger had been broke then it was game over.

You'd have thought that the Eden Project, by it's very nature (pardon the pun) would have been all in on 7kW chargers for visitors parking up for the day. I would happily pay.

Seems like they have limited charging facilities though......

We have three fast electric vehicle charging points (7.2kW) in our Banana car park, which are free of charge for our visitors to use and operate on a first come, first served basis.

You can also access a rapid 50kW point in Melon car park, which is available for public use during Eden’s opening hours, and which customers pay to use. It is operated independently through ChargePoint Genie
I visited Eden project but was staying in at Austell. In hindsight I should have driven there first and left it for a couple of hours and had a wander around. Hindsight is wonderful, isn’t it?

Last week I had about 5 miles left before I rolled into Morrisons. If that charger had been broke then it was game over.
I’ve not had to use many charge points away from home but have been fortunate in the ones I have used. All worked as they should. 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom