Long Range Trip from Newb!

Chrisd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I've completed my first long range trip in an EV, a Mk 2 ZS LR.
We went from South London to the North West Coast of Scotland.
The range on the car when fully loaded is difficult to estimate.
Charging is more of a challenge than anticipated! Charging time is longer than initially estimated and there really aren't enough chargers for peak times. So it's worth factoring that into stop times.
A minor, but annoying problem, it's the difficulty of getting up a steep gravel drive. Unable to have fine means I'm just digging holes.

How many times did you rapid charge and between what percentage?
I found that the MG5 spins easily on steep gravel.

Charging is more of a challenge than anticipated! Charging time is longer than initially estimated and there really aren't enough chargers for peak times. So it's worth factoring that into stop times.
A minor, but annoying problem, it's the difficulty of getting up a steep gravel drive. Unable to have fine means I'm just digging holes.
I did 520 miles in my LR ZS EV from the south up to Inverness and had no issues charging. 3 stops and arrived with 40% SOC. Finding chargers was not an issue.

How many times did you rapid charge and between what percentage?
I found that the MG5 spins easily on steep gravel.
We recharged 4 times up to 80% mainly due to some terrible route choices. No problem with rapid chargers, but the really fast Ionity one's were really great, but expensive.

I did 520 miles in my LR ZS EV from the south up to Inverness and had no issues charging. 3 stops and arrived with 40% SOC. Finding chargers was not an issue.
We made poor choices about time to leave and making poor route choices . Hopefully the return will be better, but new issues have arisen!

Do hope your return is better :)

Try planning with ABRP. I set it to charger locations with a minimum of 4 chargers.

Also, look out for the newly opened Tesla SuperCharger locations that the MG ZS EV can now use. You will need the Tesla app on your phone to use them.

Oh I didn't know see could use the Super chargers. Is it all locations? Also what is ABRP?

ABRP is “A Better Route Planner”

You will find it in the App Store.

1FDAD9D1-843E-4FCC-BA7A-000F5C2C3100.png

There are 15 SuperCharger locations open to all CCS cars.

F4A6C7C8-77AC-4AFC-BBA8-887842C89F70.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh I didn't know see could use the Super chargers. Is it all locations? Also what is ABRP?

The video below explains how to use a 'non Tesla' at a super charger, although, looking at the price I think I would use it as a last resort.

Re steep gravel, did you try in eco mode?

I have a long trip organised for September to Narbonne in the south of France - currently I have a 2 1/2 year old ZS but have the new long range on order (ordered 1/4/22) so hope that I get it before then! I think/hope that the network in France on the main highways will be just about ok with my current model but the new one should be infinitely better. No delivery date available yet but fingers crossed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom