Longer granny charger

Dawid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hey!

I have a footpath between parking space and socket so need to run the cable of my granny charger through the cable gully. Now since the port is a bit off centre the cable is just about reaching it if I park it perfectly and it's still a bit stretched. I saw some 13amps granny chargers with longer type 2 cable on Amazon and some other websites but I am worried this will either burn my house or my car. Anyone bought one and could advise?

You should be able to get a 7m or 10m granny EVSE. Just don't go cheap and check it rated at 13A and 10A continuous use.

Last edited:
The point is, they are all pretty similar in price and it is hard to find one with many reviews, hence I was hoping for specific recommendations

Hey!

If anyone has the same issue, just sharing my experience. After a longer read - plenty of 13A chargers out there. Do not buy a charger that is rated for 13A continuous current draw - pretty much all new outdoor sockets will be rated at 10A continuous draw and 13A peak, meaning you can only plug in 13A device for a short time. I believe the 13A ones would not be legal either but surely dangerous. Then I wanted to make sure these are made up to standard without spending fortune. I bought 10m one from Screwfix with actual brand against it. It's Masterplug. Tried it again and well, it works. And conforms to standards too. The cable running from socket to the box is much thinner than in OEM charger, more like a kettle lead, which is great as with the OEM one I could not fully seal the outdoor socket, it just wouldn't close. The new one doesn't have that issue. Cable from the box to the car is as thick as in the OEM one. Charged overnight. Plug just warm, box just warm, no signs of overheating. So if you're like me and need a longer cable, I tested this one and it works as expected.

Charged overnight. Plug just warm, box just warm, no signs of overheating. So if you're like me and need a longer cable, I tested this one and it works as expected.

That's the important bit to check. Cable and socket temperature will give you a good indication of how safe your wiring is.

The cable running from socket to the box is much thinner than in OEM charger, more like a kettle lead

I find that worrying. OEM chargers have two extra wires for a temperature sensor in the 3 pin plug which makes the wire from the brick thicker than an equivalent extension lead. If it's not thicker that implies that the safety provision is missing.

Plug just warm, box just warm, no signs of overheating.

Neither should be warm even after many hours. But it depends on what you mean by warm.

Cable and socket temperature will give you a good indication of how safe

The heat build up should be protected against becoming an issue by the thermal cutout, assuming it's present.

find that worrying. OEM chargers have two extra wires for a temperature sensor in the 3 pin plug which makes the wire from the brick thicker than an equivalent extension lead. If it's not thicker that implies that the safety provision is missing.
The thing is - with the thicker wire you cannot close the socket box thus if it rains, water can get inside. At least with two of my sockets. Unsure if it has a temperature sensors, but this thickness of a cable should be more than enough for 10A continuous draw.
Neither should be warm even after many hours. But it depends on what you mean by warm.
Just warm, not hot. The OEM was the same, so can't see any issues.

Either way opted for this one as it's a recognised brand rather than ebay no name so more likely to have all the safety features required in the UK

You need this

And a padlock to stop it being stolen at the socket connection

I am sure that's safe, I mean it's a thick lead and pretty much normal outdoor socket, and these are rated usually at 10amps, so would definitely do the trick. I was looking into those but then I'd end up having the extension lead through the gully and then the entire charger on the street. With longer lead I can suspend the box by the socket and just run the cable to the car. A bit more expensive solution, but then right now using granny charger is my primary charging method so I wanted something neat. But if I wouldn't be running the cable through the footpath and onto the street I'd pick the extension lead as much cheaper option doing the same thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom