Longest upcoming journey….

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
With the start of the football season I have decided to go and see my team, Southampton, next Saturday. The opposition are Newcastle United. This will be by far my longest EV journey requiring some planning….🤔 google maps tells me it’s a 666 mile round trip. Praying for 20° and no rain.

With the start of the football season I have decided to go and see my team, Southampton, next Saturday. The opposition are Newcastle United. This will be by far my longest EV journey requiring some planning….🤔 google maps tells me it’s a 666 mile round trip. Praying for 20° and no rain.
A veteran like yourself that'll be no issue. Let's hope gridserve has updated the ecotricity chargers on your way.

The journey of "the beast"!

I went from Telford to New Forest at very short notice last week. I have to say en-route rapid charging should be simple but it wasn't. I have maybe 8 different apps on my phone and the car find chargers too. I had no time to plan so there is the probably cause but why do there need to be so many slightly different ways of getting a charge.

Some even want you to set up a direct debit! (BP) others need you to join a club, others want you to sign up to their power supply for your house, other need bank details and an upfront connection charge .......its maddening and don't get me started on the number that have un repaired/unreported faults.

I want to tap my bank or credits card and get juice like instavolt, but instavolt coverage is thin in places. Those that offer presenting a card as an alternative often don't work that way (funny that) when you try "follow instructions" on LED one line screen which you need to get on your knees to read and only find it unreadable.

Hotel we went too had three chargers but none working when I tried them (this was news to reception) these were very like a home unit so not complex and were free. Take your own leads and the grannie charger and an extension reel as I ended up parking in a vacant disabled room slot at the hotel and passed the granny charger through the window.

On way home stopped near Banbury OX16 4AE I think there were 6 rapid chargers all working tapped my card got juice (bit dear at 40p per Kw) but it all worked, charging within 1 minute one arriving no fuss.

It can be easy but never when you are in a hurry!

Just north of Newcastle off the A1 is Costa Gosforth. Six Instavolt chargers, a Costa and a Greggs. From there it not far to a Park n ride which will take you to the City Centre.
I hope you have a good trip but return home empty handed ⚫⚪

Its a bit insidious so just stop using these suppliers where we can. If its more difficult than buying a contactless coffee then its too hard. Stop trying to lock in customers unless its with a significant discount. Vote with your feet EV drivers!

Just north of Newcastle off the A1 is Costa Gosforth. Six Instavolt chargers, a Costa and a Greggs. From there it not far to a Park n ride which will take you to the City Centre.
PS. I forgot to add that you will need an oxygen tank and possibly a Sherpa guide in order to reach the away fans enclosures.

I went to the Cairngorms and back from Dorset at the beginning of the month via M5/M6/A74 etc. on the way and A74/M6/A66/A1/M1/A34 on the way back so near Newcastle on the return trip.

Wetherbury services were all dead, Leeds Skelton services have 6 Ionity chargers - reliable but comparatively expensive. Donnington services failed to charge the MG5, Leicester has not a lot in the locality (ended up in Lutterworth) and Chievely (Newbury) often busy so may have to wait.

Currently have 13 apps and six RFID cards ...

Some even want you to set up a direct debit! (BP) others need you to join a club
Any network that wants me to put my money in their coffers so I can use their app or card is automatically rejected. I will use a contactless debit card but I am not loading up an app with my money on the off chance I might want to use their charger.

Perfect, thank you. Great advice and hopefully the boot will squeeze those 3 massive points we never get at St James’s 🔴⚪🔴⚪

I went to the Cairngorms and back from Dorset at the beginning of the month via M5/M6/A74 etc. on the way and A74/M6/A66/A1/M1/A34 on the way back so near Newcastle on the return trip.

Wetherbury services were all dead, Leeds Skelton services have 6 Ionity chargers - reliable but comparatively expensive. Donnington services failed to charge the MG5, Leicester has not a lot in the locality (ended up in Lutterworth) and Chievely (Newbury) often busy so may have to wait.

Thanks, I will take your info and make good use of it 👍🏽

Thanks, I will take your info and make good use of it 😊
PS. I forgot to add that you will need an oxygen tank and possibly a Sherpa guide in order to reach the away fans enclosures.
Yes, I am very aware....however it’s one of the stadiums I’ve not been to, for that reason, many friends have been and say just that 🤔

This is an example of pre-route planning assumptions for the ZS but the same could be used for the 5.
t’s just a simple check list/calculation and estimate.
Essentially based on experience, if you set an achievable miles/kwhr figure for the journey you then can work off that.
This obviously depends on the type of journey, and you need to have a good idea what consumption you are likely to get. Your charging stops and travel plan can then compliment that.

Where some people have issues on a longer journey is they use the average miles/kwhr that the car achieved on shorter more economical trips - then once on the motorway for example, this is significantly reduced. An EV can consume power at a startling rate at high speed.

Here is my list - if anything changes then the numbers need to be adjusted - for example slotting in the different MG5 numbers :
My route pre-planning working assumptions
  • The longest distance between charges should be no more than 120miles
  • 2 people in car and it will be loaded up
  • I will achieve an average of 3.5miles/kwhr - I know that if I travel at 70mph for the motorway parts of the journey I will struggle to get much more than 3mpk.
  • I will try to keep power at 20% and below where possible to achieve 3.5miles/kwhr consumption
  • The HVAC will be off for the journey
  • This will give me a fully charged range of about 147miles without any tolerance based on 42kwhr available and 3.5miles/kwhr.
  • The outside temperature during the trip will be above 16c
  • It will be mostly dry…
  • I will choose chargers with multiple stalls where possible - near to alternative chargers - again if possible.

I'd definitely recommend using the grid serve at rugby Moto services as one of your stops. It's a good set up there and they have lots of chargers.

All these different apps nonsense and signing up to stuff is disgraceful. As you say, just touch your card and you’re away.
Pretty sure parliament passed a law in 2019 which has given a date for all points to have to accept debit or credit card. Only issue with this though is there will be two prices of with an account which is a lower cost versus effectively pay as you go and a higher cost but at least it will e easier.

Only issue with this though is there will be two prices of with an account which is a lower cost versus effectively pay as you go and a higher cost but at least it will e easier.
That I can accept. I don't mind if I pay slightly higher (within reason) than someone who either subscribes or is prepared to let their data be harvested/used by the supplier. No different to having a Nectar or Tesco Club Card and being rewarded with points and discounts

I have a select few networks I will use when on a long journey or time is critical and that is infrequently enough to not cause too much additional cost, we use free or home in other circumstances.

Contactless payment only!

Edit to add...
There is always an exception to the rule and that is Pod Point. The app is required to overcome the 15 minute cut-off but as they are providing me with a free charge then they can have my details

Last edited:
Nectar and tesco club cards do not have your bank details as far as I'm aware?
Point was that if you choose to enrol in these schemes then you gain some reward, just like joining a subscription for cheaper charging.

If you chose not to join them then you do not get any rewards

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom