Longevity - rust protection - EVs in general. MG4 in particular

QLeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Just before we bought our MG4, we happened to be at a small family garage, when they were spraying Lanoguard on a customer car's chassis. It looked intriguing especially for an ex Land Rover owner who came to hate Waxoyl, and doubted it did much anyway. The garage owner thought highly of the product, and we duly looked it up, finding several interesting videos as well as the supplier site (you can tell I'm hedging my bets here, can't you?)
Well, when we bought the MG4, we asked the salesperson about how the car was likely to be affected by the fact that we are close to the sea. He didn't think the MG was any better or worse than any other modern car, but suggested, if we wanted, we use some anti-rust/corrosion product at some stage.

So I seek the collected wisdom of the forum. First, is Lanoguard a product of which you have experience? Second, would you use it on an EV in general and an MG4 in particular. Third, would you do it yourself or get a pro to do it? And fourth, any other comments, suggestions etc?

Cheers.

(edit: mis-spelling of Lanoguard. I feel quite sheepish about that.)

Last edited:
There has been some discussion of this.
An example:

The product is called Lanoguard BTW :)

There has been some discussion of this.
An example:

The product is called Lanoguard BTW :)
Ah, thanks for the MG5 discussion. I only searched the MG4 forum, as nature intended.

Also sorry about the typo. Will correct the post.

I don't like the fact that you have to apply Lanoguard every 12 months, if I was going to make the effort to protect the car, I'd want something that lasted a bit longer than 12 months.

I don't like the fact that you have to apply Lanoguard every 12 months, if I was going to make the effort to protect the car, I'd want something that lasted a bit longer than 12 months.
Yeah, that was one of the things I was wondering about. On the other hand, at least they are open about that. I was trying to work out whether it would be better to use a product like this now, when the car is new, or later, when it's more likely to need some anti-corrosion help. I don't think it's feasible to use every year, for reasons of cost, if not the hassle factor. But this is why I was hoping someone who had experience of it might reply.

Further to @Alb 's suggestion of the MG5 link, I found another, but again, I was wondering about the MG4, which is very different underneath in comparison, largely an acre or so of plastic. But it may be worth a squirt around the brake assemblies and the suspension bits that are visible. I just don't know.

I haven't bothered with the last few cars I've had, as I've been changing them at 3 or 4 years old, but if I decide to do this one, I would look into Ziebart, I believe there are a few garages still doing this system and it lasts for 10 years.
EDIT: scrub that last sentence, looking into it I can't find any still doing it now, last time I looked was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Last edited:
I haven't bothered with the last few cars I've had, as I've been changing them at 3 or 4 years old, but if I decide to do this one, I would look into Ziebart, I believe there are a few garages still doing this system and it lasts for 10 years.
EDIT: scrub that last sentence, looking into it I can't find any still doing it now, last time I looked was about 6 or 7 years ago.
Oh, never heard of that, but it seems to have a very long history. I'd imagine quite costly, though.

Oh, never heard of that, but it seems to have a very long history. I'd imagine quite costly, though.
The only price I found last time I checked 6 or 7 years ago it was around £400.

The only price I found last time I checked 6 or 7 years ago it was around £400.
Ouch. I wonder if this is what a neighbour here had done on his previous car, a Honda. He had to go to Glasgow once a year to get the chassis checked as part of the warranty, yet the thing still rusted. He said it cost about £500, and that it was more trouble than it was worth.

My dad had that done to a Vauxhall Viva in the late sixties or early seventies.😆

When I was at uni in the 70s a friend who drove her dad's car sometimes told us that he'd had it done, and all the hassle about annual inspections and so on. At the time my dad's Datsun 100A was trying to rust away at the age of three, but I still thought it probably wasn't worth it.

Meet me halfway and don't knock it - I was also assembled in the 60s, and the last few MOTs have been touch and go, so I'm desperate that the Viva offers some hope. :)
You can certainly live with confidence and a spring in your setp if comparing yourself to the good ol' 'Saturday Night' Viva. 🕺

Last edited:
Just before we bought our MG4, we happened to be at a small family garage, when they were spraying Lanoguard on a customer car's chassis. It looked intriguing especially for an ex Land Rover owner who came to hate Waxoyl, and doubted it did much anyway. The garage owner thought highly of the product, and we duly looked it up, finding several interesting videos as well as the supplier site (you can tell I'm hedging my bets here, can't you?)
Well, when we bought the MG4, we asked the salesperson about how the car was likely to be affected by the fact that we are close to the sea. He didn't think the MG was any better or worse than any other modern car, but suggested, if we wanted, we use some anti-rust/corrosion product at some stage.

So I seek the collected wisdom of the forum. First, is Lanoguard a product of which you have experience? Second, would you use it on an EV in general and an MG4 in particular. Third, would you do it yourself or get a pro to do it? And fourth, any other comments, suggestions etc?

Cheers.

(edit: mis-spelling of Lanoguard. I feel quite sheepish about that.)
When I was in Germany in the 70's Ziebart rust proofing was offered on new cars. A couple of guys on the base went thru the training course and treated a lot of cars in the camp motor club. The array of tools and techniques for individual vehicle versions was impressive. I have no connection with Ziebart but know that it certainly added value to a car. I didn't use it 'cos I only had a beat up VW 1600TL (which I wrote off). I would say that design of cars since then has improved a lot and we don't see the rust buckets produced by Citroen, Renault, British Leyland and Ford et al any more.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel