Longish journey

Prof1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm due to drive to nottingham at the beginning of October. Tl

According to ABRP it's a journey of 148 miles. Starting with a 100% charge ABRP is recommending a stop after 61 miles to recharge from 57 to 73 per cent.

Even with this it estimates that I'll have 10nper cent remaining when I get to Nottingham.

These figures seem wildly inaccurate as even with the standard range MG5 I should be able to cover more than 148 miles before having to recharge.

How accurate do other users find ABRP?

You can configure the parameters to suit your car and what you think it will achieve - for example load in car, miles/kwhr, % start and end charge, speed etc. I’m not sure about the 5 but I have it configured for the ZS. It’s not the greatest but it’s fairly accurate. I would have thought that you could achieve your trip without charging on the way in the 5?

Looking at the settings it bases its calculations on 3.1 miles per kWh whis is possibly a worst case scenario. At the moment I am averaging around 4.1 but it may be a bit colder come October.

In this weather even October you say with the 5 in Eco mode or even normal for that matter there would be no problem hitting 180-200 miles and if you look on the MG5 thread you will see lots of these kind of figures I have done several trips in mine and notch upwards of 160 and still had 40 plus miles left I keep to around 65 mph on motorways and plan to stop around every 150 miles that way it won’t get so low that you are on a rapid for more that 40-45 minutes to get you back up to around 80-85% the figures you have on ABRP are rubbish are you sure you have put the right car in I have never used it myself I use zap maps if I’m going on a journey that I don’t know
Les

Selected the MG5, changed max speed to 70mph (for some reason the default is 84 mph). I think the main issue us it only expects you to achieve 3.1 miles per kWh which is probably a worse case scenario.

Have tried the same journey with zapmap and suggests a short charge about 5 miles before journeys end to arrive at 20%.

I have messaged ABRP to ask if they can add the long range to the list, nothing so far but maybe if more people do they may put it on.

I know lots of people with a variety of EVs, every one of them recommended ABRP and everyone of them said it needs to be tweaked. Most said it was overzealous in stops is suggested.

Maybe use ABRP on all your journeys and use this data to adjust the settings as Cocijo said to be more representative of your style of driving and your journey types.

I have messaged ABRP to ask if they can add the long range to the list, nothing so far but maybe if more people do they may put it on.

I know lots of people with a variety of EVs, every one of them recommended ABRP and everyone of them said it needs to be tweaked. Most said it was overzealous in stops is suggested.

Maybe use ABRP on all your journeys and use this data to adjust the settings as Cocijo said to be more representative of your style of driving and your journey types.
They need to get the standard range right first, literally miles out to the extent I don't use it.

Your journey should be very doable without a charge en route, provided that you don't drive like a maniac.

I've just done more than 150 miles from Chesterfield to Chester and back, used 54 per cent of the battery.

Hope the journey goes ok.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom