Lost a hubcap during floods

Jonna

Standard Member
Reaction score
It turns out if you drive at speed into a flooded road there can be consequences 😂. The rear passenger side hubcap ejected likely due to the force of water and subsequently got smashed to pieces by other cars running over it.

Does anyone have a hubcap they would be willing to sell? I have my eye out for one on eBay/breakers etc too.

Be very very careful driving through flooded roads as you wouldnt want something sharp or pointy to damage the battery ! Not MG but seen a Porsche Taycan do that and damage his cooling fins - Porsche they quoted him £48k for a replacement. Luckily MG4 batteries are only around £4,000 - £6000

It turns out if you drive at speed into a flooded road there can be consequences 😂.

I'll say, and if it's only a hub cap, think yourself damn lucky.

After this video was posted on another thread (it shows an MG4 making it through a deep and nasty flood while a lot of ICE cars died) I spent a while looking at various flood videos including the infamous Rufford ford.

The universal take-home message is that those who drive at speed into a flood are out of their cotton-picking minds. Several cars in that video would have been fine if the driver had simply gone at a slow and steady pace. Instead they wrote off their car!

The difference with an EV is that it can't hydrolock so you are on a better wicket there, also the sealed battery prevents the car filling up with water from below so readily. But that itself can cause the car to float, as it did with that MG4 for a couple of seconds - he was lucky he drifted forwards to a place where his wheels got traction again. And who knows what damage he might have done to the car, even though it was still operational.

In the videos we saw cars losing all sorts of bits, from numberplates to front grilles to undertrays. (If your undertray has the MG4 warp, you could easily rip it off.) One Rufford ford video showed an array of detached numberplates lined up on the grass verge, including one from an EV.

If it's more than a foot deep, don't risk it unless you're taking a heart attack victim to hospital. If you do go in, drive slowly and steadily so that the bow-wave you create doesn't turn into a breaker.

It turns out if you drive at speed into a flooded road there can be consequences 😂. The rear passenger side hubcap ejected likely due to the force of water and subsequently got smashed to pieces by other cars running over it.

Does anyone have a hubcap they would be willing to sell? I have my eye out for one on eBay/breakers etc too.
Buy a set from your dealer then sell the other 3 on Ebay at a 25% markup or more so you get yours for free 😁

If I was that driver of the MG4 i'd be getting my gearbox oil checked as it does have a breather and that would have been well under water. If You're ever needing to go through water make sure it's less than half way up the wheel if you don't know where your breathers are.

The car was a 73 plate, and custom painted in the livery of his company. It almost certainly wasn't his car, and if I was his employer I'd be furious. Particularly if I saw the video.

I'd be very interested to know what if any errors showed up a mile down the road and what it took to get that car dried out and back to normal.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back