Low mileage service

Ok. I'm booked in for my first (low mileage) service at RRP MG near Stockport. Brilliant telephone reception, 2 hour slot, includes a wash and brush up and AA renewal. It's £30 odd. That's £100 cheaper than my local Stoneacre and £130 cheaper than my local Sandicliffe. From my point it's well worth the 65 miles drive (with a bit of bird watching on the way).
A wash at a dealership is a good thing 😳

Are you into car detailing and methods to avoid a wash and scratch?

:eek:

The thought of that does send shivers down my spine :ROFLMAO:

With my RS, I told the dealer a long time ago that the car was never to be washed and I even left a big sign in the window repeating the instruction just in case the message never got through to the garage staff!

Hi - I am considering buying a used MG5(maybe standard or long range) and had been to Macklin Edinburgh and the sales person mentioned the annual service cost to be 225. This is the price i pay for servicing my petrol SUV and includes oil changes. He didnt have an answer but said the cost might be cheaper if you take up multiyear service plan.

When you do, could you please update this thread on where you got your car serviced and how much did it cost you?

Thanks!
I ended up going to Frasers in Falkirk (well, I'm going tomorrow) and they quoted £78 for a low mileage. Their full service is even significantly cheaper than Macklin - I'd avoid them. They were a pain when I was getting something fixed under warrantee too.

Just booked mine in for it's first service, low mileage, only done 5000 miles first year.

I bought the car from Luscombe's Leeds and so enquired there re cost. Told them low mileage and came back with £90. Not too bad methinks but as any prudent person would I thought I will check with another dealer same distance from home JCT600 at Bradford. Their figure was £62.

Well £28 is better in my pocket so I went back to Luscombe's, showing a bit of loyalty as they have treated me well in the past having bought 2 EVs from them, and asked if the £90 was really for the low mileage service and he said, oh no that would be £63. Fair enough thinks I that will do but then............he announces that it won't include the AA cover for another year.

This sounds odd to me I've never heard that before so while we're talking I check on the MG website and no mention there, looks quite plain that it does. Anyway after being giving reasons why it doesn't I said thanks but no thanks.

Went back to JCT and asked to confirm that the AA cover is renewed and told...of course sir.

So booked in now, I'll leave you to guess where. :)

My low mileage (8300) was done yesterday by Waylands, an MG dealer on the outskirts of Oxford, £43.20 - less than half the price quoted by the more local dealer who I bought it from. Really nice people there too.

It was an pleasant enough hours drive each way to get there but we'd been promising ourselves a day in Oxford for a couple of years, and now with the old persons bus pass, and a bus direct into town from outside the dealer, it was a great day out. We visited the Ashmolean, Pitt Rivers and the Christmas market.

So again, £43.20 for a service, a year of AA and best of all they they washed it!!!

EDIT: Just a minor short-lived panic this morning. Went to Tesco and to get the closest parking I needed the cable from the frunk. It had gone!! Either it'd been nicked, or the dealer took it out and forgot to put it back or....

Yes, there it was, in the boot.

Not sure if they don't recommend you keeping it under the bonnet or they just put it there to get access during the service. They left my emergency release string hanging out of it's hole though, which was good :)

Last edited:
My low mileage (8300) was done yesterday by Waylands, an MG dealer on the outskirts of Oxford, £43.20 - less than half the price quoted by the more local dealer who I bought it from. Really nice people there too.

It was an pleasant enough hours drive each way to get there but we'd been promising ourselves a day in Oxford for a couple of years, and now with the old persons bus pass, and a bus direct into town from outside the dealer, it was a great day out. We visited the Ashmolean, Pitt Rivers and the Christmas market.

So again, £43.20 for a service, a year of AA and best of all they they washed it!!!

EDIT: Just a minor short-lived panic this morning. Went to Tesco and to get the closest parking I needed the cable from the frunk. It had gone!! Either it'd been nicked, or the dealer took it out and forgot to put it back or....

Yes, there it was, in the boot.

Not sure if they don't recommend you keeping it under the bonnet or they just put it there to get access during the service. They left my emergency release string hanging out of it's hole though, which was good :)
Yes Bulldog asked for £144 for me and I said . . . . . . . nope!

Just had a response from my supplying dealer....

"The low mileage first year service for the MG5 is £89.95 inc VAT, there is an optional anti corrosion inspection (required to maintain the paint warranty) which is an additional £25." :eek:

I think I will be ringing around the nearby dealers Monday.

I have sent off an email to MG asking them to explain the "optional" but "required" statement.

Seems like a fiddle to get more money, a bit like brake fluid change after 2 years being needed but not in the service plan so extra cost.

I have sent off an email to MG asking them to explain the "optional" but "required" statement.

Seems like a fiddle to get more money, a bit like brake fluid change after 2 years being needed but not in the service plan so extra cost.
Cleverley just do the humidity test, a simple pass / fail. My brake fluid was dry so fine for another year.

Yes Waylands mentioned two possible fluid changes for second service, both dependent on investigation.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom