Low tyre pressure

Mick Evans

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Sat having my tyre sorted as I had low pressure warning come up. Front tyre showing 1.7 ?

Had the tyre and valve checked nothing wrong with the tyre or valve.

Anyone else managed to get a fix for this?
TIA

Did you or the tyre shop manually check the 1.7 bar tyre pressure reported by the TPMS before commencing the work ?.
It would have confirmed if there was a problem with incorrect reporting of the TPMS or it was in fact a problem on that wheel / tyre.
It could have been reporting correctly.
I guess the TPMS has reset itself on the journey home after having the tyre re-inflated to the correct pressure.

2 tyres have now had to be sorted in 2 years both with the same fault developing. A leaking rim to blame for both fitter cleaned and refitted tyre all good. So might be just leaking rims.

I also have a leaky tyre from new, takes about 2-3 weeks to go down by 0.2 bar. Living with it!
Will shorten the life of your tyre and increase drag but now idea how much I just got fed up with putting air in every 2-3 weeks and was off on a long drive of about 600 miles over a few days.

So they put air in the tyre to fix the problem . Did put the wheel in water no leaks . Warning light back on today . Slow puncture me thinks.

With a few people having the same problem I wonder if the actual wheel castings may be porous. The loss of air is so slow that it is unlikely to be easily picked up as visible bubbles. If it is a porous casting the tyre seal stuff might fix it!

If its a slow leak around the rim it can be very hard to see. The air created very small bubbles over a large area of the rim both times. They took the tyres off cleaned the rims and put them back on now no more leeks, castings would not be porous its just the joint

So today my front tyre was showing 1.2 bar WTF. Let the air out of the front tyre expecting it to go down again NO. The rear tyre went down ? Pumped them back up. Work out the tmps on the front drivers tyre was actually the rear passenger side showing low pressure. So my new tyre on the back has a slow puncture or faulty sensor.

So today my front tyre was showing 1.2 bar WTF. Let the air out of the front tyre expecting it to go down again NO. The rear tyre went down ? Pumped them back up. Work out the tmps on the front drivers tyre was actually the rear passenger side showing low pressure. So my new tyre on the back has a slow puncture or faulty sensor.
Or a leaking rim as lots of wheels have just some faster than others, also might be a good idea to swap them round so the sensors are in the right place

Or a leaking rim as lots of wheels have just some faster than others, also might be a good idea to swap them round so the sensors are in the right place
I could be wrong but I thought the sensors were meant to adjust themselves over a couple of days if put back in a different locations.

If you have recently had your tyres changed I would go back to the garage. I had a slow tyre leak once and it was because there was a bit of grit between the tyre and the rim. This resulted in a small gap and a slow leak.

Not sure on the MG4 & 5 ?.
But the TPMS on the ZS EV Gen1 has each wheel / tyre coded to the same position on the car, if you move the wheel / tyre to a different location it is unable to relearn the new location.
On the Gen2 ZS EV the TPMS is able to relearn I believe.

Problem solved works out my new tyre ( £130 and 2 weeks old) had a nail in the side wall. Lucky me new tyre needed.
Much the same as me . New tyre ( a week old ) had a screw in the tread . Luckily they could patch it :) , though I think I may search e bay for a space saver

If the nail / screw enters through the tread, then generally it can be repaired, through the side wall and you’ve pretty much looking like a new tyre 🛞 !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom