Main Screen Temporary Failure

Expat Ever

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My car: MG4 model X (Thai equivalent to the UK Trophy as far as I can tell).

Twice in the last month the main screen in my car has become unresponsive at startup - the first time I abandoned my trip and it was OK the following day, however yesterday, after being left parked for about half an hour, it refused to show anything other than the MG logo in monochrome. No combination of buttons including the key fob (both inside and out of the car) brake presses, exiting and folding the mirrors, playing around with the interior lights and giving it a stern talking to would wake it up.
The driver's screen showed no warnings: battery at 45% with 13V on the secondary, so I decided to limp home as It wasn't too far. Oh Joy! once the car started to actually move in reverse the screen came up with the rear camera in fisheye mode only, but sadly returned to blank when in drive - seemed like it was just teasing...

A bit unnerving driving without the screen and, although my son couldn't fulfill his co-pilot role of disarming LKA, we got back without incident. The next morning the car behaved normally but I wouldn't like to experience a screen failure of either display when driving or far from help.

I'll be taking it to the dealer this week, but in the meantime wonder if anyone else had similar issues?

"A stern talking to" :LOL:
Did you try thrashing it with a twig ?
john cleese best moment ever GIF
bbc comedy GIF

FWIW, mine occasionally decides to take its time booting up but it does eventually start.

Twice in the last month the main screen in my car has become unresponsive at startup - the first time I abandoned my trip and it was OK the following day, however yesterday, after being left parked for about half an hour, it refused to show anything other than the MG logo in monochrome. No combination of buttons including the key fob (both inside and out of the car) brake presses, exiting and folding the mirrors, playing around with the interior lights and giving it a stern talking to would wake it up.
The driver's screen showed no warnings: battery at 45% with 13V on the secondary, so I decided to limp home as It wasn't too far. Oh Joy! once the car started to actually move in reverse the screen came up with the rear camera in fisheye mode only, but sadly returned to blank when in drive - seemed like it was just teasing...

A bit unnerving driving without the screen and, although my son couldn't fulfill his co-pilot role of disarming LKA, we got back without incident. The next morning the car behaved normally but I wouldn't like to experience a screen failure of either display when driving or far from help.

I'll be taking it to the dealer this week, but in the meantime wonder if anyone else had similar issues?
I’ve had the same blank screen occur twice in the past few days, also with an MG4 X in Thailand. The screen just didn’t get further than the logo when I unlocked and entered the car. Both times I just continued with my day around town, and I had no problems, just silence and fixed temperature and fan settings.

I suspect a software update because when the screen works as it should, it seems to come up much quicker than it used to. This seems to have changed when I had the car in for its six-month service, so who knows just what they did.

You could try disconnecting the 12v battery for 15 minutes then reconnecting. That cleared a radio failure for me.
If not, then back to your dealer as you say.

You could try disconnecting the 12v battery for 15 minutes then reconnecting. That cleared a radio failure for me.
If not, then back to your dealer as you say.
When your computer has an update nine times out of ten it needs switching off and on again to install it. Just wondering if after the dealer has done the PDI updates the car needs to be re-booted to install them properly by disconnecting the 12v battery which might not have been done.

When your computer has an update nine times out of ten it needs switching off and on again to install it. Just wondering if after the dealer has done the PDI updates the car needs to be re-booted to install them properly by disconnecting the 12v battery which might not have been done.
That is a good point. Any and all corners might be cut by a dealer running out of time to update a customer's car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back