Manually releasing the charging port lock

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So I just finished charging my MG5 SR and the cable was stuck in the front of the car. Came back in to check the manual and it says to remove the front compartment decorative cover - does that mean the whole top tray? If so not sure what I’d have done if I was away from home without my tools? Fortunately I heard it click when I unlocked the car again to pop the bonnet and the cable was freed

Apparently some re-lock very quickly (2-3 secondS IIRC) after you've unlocked the car.
I find with SWMBO's 5 that unlocking the car with the door button and opening a door seems to stop it re-locking.
Alternatively, if you have one of the quicker ones, unlock the car with the fob as you stand in front of the plug and pull it straight away.

Hi just read this and you what it’s not just MGs that will do this, my own MG5 has done it on me, as well.
In the last 12 months I have seen and helped people disconnect charging cables yes 3/4 have been MGs ZS and a 5 but I have help KIA e Niro, 2008 Peugeot an Hyundai Kona I think it was, and others so it not just MGs, the car locks the charge cable into the port to avoid it being stolen I think, but on each one I have help with I have found if it is still locked in the charging port locking the car with the key fob and then unlocking it with the fob releases the cable has worked for me and with all the cars above as well.

What I think happens some times is when your walking to or get to your car, you unlock it and then start to load your shopping in, or get the kids strapped in,or fit the child seats and load in the push chair etc, the car might relock the cable port in a short while after you have first open it, as Kithmo has rightly pointed out in #4 so best thing is open your car then pull out your cable and then do your loading etc. And if it does relock best to use your key fob as I have described above.
I know there are other ways to unlock the car but the fob as work every time in my experience on all makes I have come across.
Les

Hi just read this and you what it’s not just MGs that will do this, my own MG5 has done it on me, as well.
In the last 12 months I have seen and helped people disconnect charging cables yes 3/4 have been MGs ZS and a 5 but I have help KIA e Niro, 2008 Peugeot an Hyundai Kona I think it was, and others so it not just MGs, the car locks the charge cable into the port to avoid it being stolen I think, but on each one I have help with I have found if it is still locked in the charging port locking the car with the key fob and then unlocking it with the fob releases the cable has worked for me and with all the cars above as well.

What I think happens some times is when your walking to or get to your car, you unlock it and then start to load your shopping in, or get the kids strapped in,or fit the child seats and load in the push chair etc, the car might relock the cable port in a short while after you have first open it, as Kithmo has rightly pointed out in #4 so best thing is open your car then pull out your cable and then do your loading etc. And if it does relock best to use your key fob as I have described above.
I know there are other ways to unlock the car but the fob as work every time in my experience on all makes I have come across.
Les
That makes sense, thinking back I opened the car but then opened the boot using the key fob, in preparation for getting the cable bag out, before I went to get the cable out of the charging port. I’ll just get the cable out as soon as I unlock the car in future

I find with SWMBO's 5 that unlocking the car with the door button and opening a door seems to stop it re-locking.
Same situation on the ZS EV ( Gen1 ) model @Kithmo .
If you "Zap" the car with the unlock button on the fob, then open the drivers door slightly, it WILL prevent the car from automatically re-locking itself again.
I think you can return the door to the first catch also ?.
Also, if you returning to the car after doing some shopping and you approach the back of the car with the key still in your pocket, it will allow you to lift up the tailgate release, to place items in the boot.
BUT - The rest of the car ( and the charge port ) will remain fully locked !.
When you close the tail gate, it will re-lock just the tail gate, as the rest of the car is still already locked.
The rear indicators can be seen to briefly flash, as the tail gate re-locks.
So, remember if you opened the boot with out using the fob, then go around to front to remove the charging cable, it is NOT going to release !.
Why - because the car remains fully locked.
When I am out and about, I rarely public charging, but if I do, is this the process I follow.
On returning, I head straight to the front of the car.
Then while standing alongside the charging cable, I press the unlock button on the fob and as soon as hear the cable release, I remove it from charging port, straight away.
You will hear the car release the cable.

Last edited:
Same situation on the ZS EV ( Gen1 ) model @Kithmo .
If you "Zap" the car with the unlock button on the fob, then open the drivers door slightly, it WILL prevent the car from automatically re-locking itself again.
I think you can return the door to the first catch also ?.
Also, if you returning to the car after going some shopping and you approach the back of the car with the key still in your pocket, it will allow you to lift up the tailgate release, to place items in the boot.
BUT - The rest of the car ( and the charge port ) will remain fully locked !.
When you close the tail gate, it will re-lock just the tail gate, as the rest of the car is still already locked.
The rear indicators can be seen to briefly flash, as the tail gate re-locks.
So, remember if you opened the boot with out using the fob, then go around to front to remove the charging cable, it is NOT going to release !.
Why - because the car remains fully locked.
When I am out and about, I rarely public charging, but if I do, is this the process I follow.
On returning, I head straight to the front of the car.
Then while standing alongside the charging cable, I press the unlock button on the fob and as soon as hear the cable release, I remove it from charging port, straight away.
You will hear the car release the cable.
Same with my ZS. On returning to the car, I usually open the rear hatch to put shopping in, then go to the drivers door, unlock and open it, then close it. Go round to the front and unplug the cable from the car, then from the charger and put the cable in the boot. I used to unplug from the charger first when I first got the car, it made no difference TBH. I think it may be something to do with me not having the, "charge while unlocked" update on mine that the charge port never re-locks once the car is unlocked and a door opened. Not sure on SWMBO's 5 (SR) why, but it seems to behave the same.

Here is the mod I did to make life simpler.

Attachments

• EFF0E9C6-BDBC-4033-9C38-7A006DA95FAB.jpeg
    EFF0E9C6-BDBC-4033-9C38-7A006DA95FAB.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 672
  • FBA4BF63-CEE8-4C1A-9F38-BBCCE40B93B5.jpeg
    FBA4BF63-CEE8-4C1A-9F38-BBCCE40B93B5.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 8EC4F6F5-A18C-4D36-9628-A326F2E57E0E.jpeg
    8EC4F6F5-A18C-4D36-9628-A326F2E57E0E.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 433
Here is the mod I did to make life simpler.
Thanks for the info 👍, once all this rain and wind stops I’m fitting new headlight bulbs and I’ll be attaching a bit of cord to the release while I have the cover off

I just had to do it for the first time...managed to get to the loop by just lifting the corner of the cover.

Do I need to do anything before I charge again? Or does putting the charger in reset the cable?

I just had to do it for the first time...managed to get to the loop by just lifting the corner of the cover.

Do I need to do anything before I charge again? Or does putting the charger in reset the cable?
It just releases it, you don't need to do anything else.

locking the car with the key fob and then unlocking it with the fob releases the cable has worked for me and with all the cars above as well.

Tapping the unlock button on the fob usually unlocks it for me, I don't think I've ever had to lock the car first.

Another reasonably common issue is where the cable gets pulled tight against the locking pin, wedging it in place; either at the car or charging point end. Counterintuitively the solution is to push the cable further in to the socket before trying again to unlock it by relocking then unlocking the car again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom