Map in app shows non-public chargers

YaR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just a warning, the map in the updated app has a large number of chargers that aren't accessible to the public including the ones at my work. To access them you need to get through a manned security gate and to have been pre-registered, which you can only do if you are an employee. I have no idea how they ended up on the MG map as they don't appear on zap map or other resources. There are also several other local chargers that I can see that I know are behind gates and are for employee use only.

If I was planning a journey that required the use of a charger en route, I would not use the MG app.

I have been adding all likely chargers I could use on the trips I make as "favourites" in my (logged in) Google Maps. A little bit of research and homework required using Zapmap and the charger company themselves but well worth it IMHO. With Google sync they will transfer to phone from PC. On any planned trips I then work out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice just in case atarting with the fastest chargers.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.PNG
    IMG_2916.PNG
    707.6 KB · Views: 32
Just a warning, the map in the updated app has a large number of chargers that aren't accessible to the public including the ones at my work. To access them you need to get through a manned security gate and to have been pre-registered, which you can only do if you are an employee. I have no idea how they ended up on the MG map as they don't appear on zap map or other resources. There are also several other local chargers that I can see that I know are behind gates and are for employee use only.

If I was planning a journey that required the use of a charger en route, I would not use the MG app.
For some reason, mine doesn’t show any chargers in the EV chargers category.
However, if I look up ‘DC fast’, it finds them all.
I suspect, but I might be wrong, that the app is overlaying some POIs on top of the existing Apple Maps POIs in my case (iOS).
When I search for EV charging points on Apple Maps I find some private chargers on there too. Someone added them to the map at some point and Apple Maps uses a combination of POI sources including OpenStreetMap

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel