• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Marvel R middle touch screen experience

Dluc

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I am wondering if someone has expierence with the middle touch screen? Is it well positioned for operating and for visualisation of the navigation during driving, especially for small people (my wife is 1m50) who has the seats close to the steering wheel?

I think the best option really is to take the vehicle for a test drive, with the wife and get to use the central screen, see how it feels.
Would be interesting if you could the post what you thought of the test drive.

Ehi, good touch screen, little bit slowly but is the OS.
About entertainment, like video for example, do you know if there is a possibility to see video also during movement? for child behind for example will be a saver! :)

I am wondering if someone has expierence with the middle touch screen? Is it well positioned for operating and for visualisation of the navigation during driving, especially for small people (my wife is 1m50) who has the seats close to the steering wheel?
In a word, no. After using it for three days I thought is was style over functionality and would be far better in a more 'standard' position. What bugged me most was that the angle it is at means to do anything on it you have to look away from the road and it catches the sunlight a lot making it difficult to read at times (not sure if there is an option for a matt glass protector, but that may help a little).

In a word, no. After using it for three days I thought is was style over functionality and would be far better in a more 'standard' position. What bugged me most was that the angle it is at means to do anything on it you have to look away from the road and it catches the sunlight a lot making it difficult to read at times (not sure if there is an option for a matt glass protector, but that may help a little).
Thats a big design flaw isnt it.

Thats a big design flaw isnt it.
I'm torn on this to be honest, basically, I think it is.

But here's why I'm torn. In our ICE cars I have to look down and to the right to adjust any of the HVAC, heated seats, radio buttons etc. because they are all buttons. Yes, a few of them I can do without glancing down as muscle memory knows where they are, but in general, I'd be doing the same in that as I had to in the Marvel R. It's the same story in virtually any 'regular' car, the control buttons are in the centre, down to either the right or the left of the driver (depending on which side the steering wheel is), so this is nothing new, but it's the functionality that overall is flawed for me. Thus, where I think that the Marvel R falls down with it's infotainment design is that:

a) the screen just didn't need to be that big. Ask someone why they climb a mountain and they will invariably answer 'because it's there' - it's the same with this screen, it's big because they could, not because they needed it to be.
b) it's shiney. The sun's reflections on it (even when it's not particularly sunny) make glancing briefly down to view it difficult at times and this could easily have been negated with a matt finish screen protector.
c) everything is buried in menus. I know that familiarisation will negate this to a certain extent, but I think the designers could have easily put a smaller screen and some shortcut buttons in and kept the design looking premium.
d) I couldn't find the off switch. This was annoying at night, not the end of the world, just annoying.

I still think that longer term use/ownership would negate some of these, but in today's world where SIAC have access to world class designers, I don't think we should even be having this conversation as it should have never got past prototyping stage as it is.

I'm torn on this to be honest, basically, I think it is.

But here's why I'm torn. In our ICE cars I have to look down and to the right to adjust any of the HVAC, heated seats, radio buttons etc. because they are all buttons. Yes, a few of them I can do without glancing down as muscle memory knows where they are, but in general, I'd be doing the same in that as I had to in the Marvel R. It's the same story in virtually any 'regular' car, the control buttons are in the centre, down to either the right or the left of the driver (depending on which side the steering wheel is), so this is nothing new, but it's the functionality that overall is flawed for me. Thus, where I think that the Marvel R falls down with it's infotainment design is that:

a) the screen just didn't need to be that big. Ask someone why they climb a mountain and they will invariably answer 'because it's there' - it's the same with this screen, it's big because they could, not because they needed it to be.
b) it's shiney. The sun's reflections on it (even when it's not particularly sunny) make glancing briefly down to view it difficult at times and this could easily have been negated with a matt finish screen protector.
c) everything is buried in menus. I know that familiarisation will negate this to a certain extent, but I think the designers could have easily put a smaller screen and some shortcut buttons in and kept the design looking premium.
d) I couldn't find the off switch. This was annoying at night, not the end of the world, just annoying.

I still think that longer term use/ownership would negate some of these, but in today's world where SIAC have access to world class designers, I don't think we should even be having this conversation as it should have never got past prototyping stage as it is.
I'm sure you could find a matt screen protector for a tablet that could be made to fit?

I'm sure you could find a matt screen protector for a tablet that could be made to fit?
Undoubtedly (although I think chopping up a 24"- 26" filter to get it to fit would look 'a bit naff'), but when paying the thick-end of €50k for a car, I should not have to. It's a very basic failing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom