Max charge with type 2 cable

marshy84

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,
I've not long had the MG4 Trophy Long Range that came with a type 2 cable but I'm finding that the max charge I'm getting is only 3.4 kW at max. The cable is a single phase 32amp plugged into a 22kW charging station. There are a few other cars that have used the station and I've seen them pulling up to 11kW. I have a home changer that charges the car at up to 7kW so I'm wondering if the problem is the cable I have, or if there is a setting on the car that I need change? Anyone come across this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, does the cable work ok on a 7kW single phase EVSE?
Did it come with the car. Does it say 32A on it?

The cable came with the car but I don't have a way to test it with my home charger as that is tethered. The certificate for the cable says Max 32A 250V AC 5m.

The cable came with the car but I don't have a way to test it with my home charger as that is tethered. The certificate for the cable says Max 32A 250V AC 5m.
No, I meant try the car and cable on a destination EVSE not a 22kW unit.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment :)

In other words, try a supermarket (for example) 7kW charge post and see what charge rate you get. If that is also around 3.4kW then it would point at your cable.

Hi,
I've not long had the MG4 Trophy Long Range that came with a type 2 cable but I'm finding that the max charge I'm getting is only 3.4Khw at max. The cable is a single phase 32amp plugged into a 22Khw charging station. There are a few other cars that have used the station and I've seen them pulling up to 11Khw. I have a home changer that charges the car at up to 7Khw so I'm wondering if the problem is the cable I have, or if there is a setting on the car that I need change? Anyone come across this?

Thanks in advance
i thought our car only came with a type 2 ac portable charger? When u say u have a type 2cable..and plugged into a 22kW charging station...quite dont get it...
dont the 22kW charger station has their own plug thats attached to the charger like the normal public charger. so dont quite understand what u mean by saying " u have a type 2 cable and plug itnto the 22kW charging station..any pics?

There are a few typical (untethered) destination charge points ... 7kW single phase, 11kW 3-phase and 22kW 3-phase. 11kW is 16A max per phase; the others are 32A max per phase.

if your cable says max 32amp 250v. means it can allow maximum of 8000watt.. if ur home plug has a circuit breaker of 32amp. ull be able to test and see that the car is receiving 8kwh+_ 5-10% efficiency loss.

The onboard charger has a limit of 6.6kW, so you'd never get anywhere near 7.4kW nevermind 8kW. :)

i thought our car only came with a type 2 ac portable charger? when u say u have a type 2cable..and plugged into a 22kwh charging station...quite dont get it...
dont the 22kwh charger station has their own plug thats attached to the charger like the normal public charger. so dont quite understand what u mean by saying " u have a type 2 cable and plug itnto the 22kwh charging station..any pics?
My car came with both a 3-pin to Type 2 charger and a Type 2 to Type 2 cable. The stations at work aren't tethered so you have to use your own cable.

Depends on market (geography) and model year. Phase 1 LR models in the UK had nominal 11kW 3-phase onboard chargers, but the SR model was nominal 7kW (actual 6.6kW) single phase. Phase 2 models all only have single phase ... except the ER and X-Power which have the 11kW 3-phase.

11kW 3-phase in the MG4 gives an actual charge rate of just over 9kW (per evidence posted by others on this board).

Are you 100% sure the charging point is 22KW/3phase/32A?

A 3phase charging point set at 16A would only allow 11kW charging, even for people with 3phase, 32A cables (and a 22kW AC capable car, which very few are). And for your single phase, 32A cable, it would only charge at 3.6ish kW if the charging point is 16A.
I had the same issues at work chargers that were 16A.

There were other chargers that were single phase, 32A, and I could charge at 7kW using the supplied single phase, 32A cable that came with the car....

Your work stations may be rated up to 22kW, but might be set at 16A, which would produce a max output of 11kW.

The 3 phase cable is quite a bit chunkier than a normal home wall box one. on the early trophy you should get 10-11kw from a 22kw charger. If others are getting 11kw can you try their cable?

Are you 100% sure the charging point is 22KW/3phase/32A?

A 3phase charging point set at 16A would only allow 11KWh charging, even for people with 3phase, 32A cables (and a 22KWh AC capable car, which very few are). And for your single phase, 32A cable, it would only charge at 3.6ish KWh if the charging point is 16A.
I had the same issues at work chargers that were 16A.

There were other chargers that were single phase, 32A, and I could charge at 7KW using the supplied single phase, 32A cable that came with the car....

Your work stations may be rated up to 22KW, but might be set at 16A, which would produce a max output of 11KW.
Not sure on the exact specs of the charge stage, but shouldn't I still get a charge rate greater than 3.4kW even on 16A?

The 3 phase cable is quite a bit chunkier than a normal home wall box one. on the early trophy you should get 10-11kw from a 22kw charger. If others are getting 11kw can you try their cable?
I will ask one of the other EV owners if I can try their cable. My type 2 cable isn't as chunky as theirs, it's definitely not three phase as the L2 and L3 ports on the cable are blanked.

Not sure on the exact specs of the charge stage, but shouldn't I still get a charge rate greater than 3.4Khw even on 16A?
Not if using a single phase cable with a 3 phase supply it will pull form one phase only 11kw roughly divide by 3 equals 3.66kW per phase.

Not sure on the exact specs of the charge stage, but shouldn't I still get a charge rate greater than 3.4Khw even on 16A?
MGFour is correct above.

Single phase 16A cable, 16A charger = 3.6kW max
Single phase 32A cable, 16A charger = 3.6kW max (charger bottleneck)
Single phase 16A cable, 32A charger = 3.6kW max (cable Amp bottleneck)
Single phase 32A cable, 32A single-phase charger = 7kW max - This is what most home charging points will be.

3-Phase 16A cable, 16A single-phase charger = 3.6kW max (charger bottleneck makes cable phases irrelevant, it can only use one phase from charger at 16A)
3-Phase 16A cable, 32A single-phase charger = 3.6kW max (cable Amps bottleneck, can only use one phase through cable at 16A)
3-Phase 16A cable, 16A 3-phase charger = 11kW max (3 x 3.6kW, cable and charger bottleneck)
3-Phase 16A cable, 32A 3-phase charger = 11kW max (3 x 3.6kW, cable bottleneck)
3-Phase 32A cable, 16A 3-phase charger = 11kW max (3 x 3.6kW, charger bottleneck)
3-Phase 32A cable, 32A charger = 22kW max (3 x 7kW)

Hopefully I haven't got muddled up, but I think those are right anyway!

Essentially each phase at 32A is 7kW, each phase at 16A is 3.6kW.

I’ve just tested a colleagues 3-phase 32A cable on the charger station and I was getting a rate of 9.1kW. Based on the above my single phase 32A cable should have been achieving 7kW. So is it either the car or charge station bottlenecking?

See the post above by @crl84 Second line states
"Single phase 32A cable, 16A charger = 3.6kW max (charger bottleneck)"

You said your L2 and L3 pins not connected therefore single phase 32A cable, therefore max is 3.6kW as the 11kW max output from the charger is divided by 3, as only a single phase.

I have 22kW chargers at work, and a 3 phase 32A type 2 cable. I get over 9kW when charging at work. That's the maximum the car can charge at as onboard AC charger is maximum 11kW when charging using 3 phase charger, and all 3 phases connected with 32A cable.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel