Max range and warmth

Fingers

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a long run early tomorrow when of course it is due to be -2/-4c so, as I'm carrying a passenger, I want to minimize stops while operating in reasonable comfort. I will charge to 100% overnight of course, my question is would I see any benefit from a 15/20minute early start, leaving it on charge, putting the heating on and putting the battery heater on to ensure max range and comfort? Anyone done this or similar?

I've found that current draw is minimal if you select a reasonable temperature.
20 Deg C quite adequate for me.

I think it would probably be worth you going out 30 min before and pre-heating the interior whilst connected to your charger. Assuming you have a 7kw charger, this should keep the battery 100% as far as I've been told.

In doing this the seats, trim etc. will absorb the initial heat and should require less energy to keep warm on your journey.

I've done t
I've got a long run early tomorrow when of course it is due to be -2/-4c so, as I'm carrying a passenger, I want to minimize stops while operating in reasonable comfort. I will charge to 100% overnight of course, my question is would I see any benefit from a 15/20minute early start, leaving it on charge, putting the heating on and putting the battery heater on to ensure max range and comfort? Anyone done this or similar?
I've done that when i was going to Spain 3 weeks ago, I switched the heating on and the battery was 2% down within 30 mins so i topped it up before i left, so it won't hurt in my opinion...

Just come on here as brand new LR is only showing 190 miles max on the GOM with 100% charge but 2 days ago when we picked up from dealer it was showing 220miles.
We did a couple of fast charges as dealer said don't rapid charge a new vehicle too soon.
I saw you mentioned a battery heater? Is that a setting in the car that helps in these sub zero temps? - sorry bit of a newbie with the MG

The battery heater is in the car/battery menu I think its intended use is to increase rapid charging rates in cold weather while used in the last few miles prior to charging. My hope was a warm car and battery while the battery was still on charge, hopefully 100%, which would give me a little more range and a warm passenger. I know i'll have to charge once but would like to avoid twice.

Just come on here as brand new LR is only showing 190 miles max on the GOM with 100% charge but 2 days ago when we picked up from dealer it was showing 220miles.
We did a couple of fast charges as dealer said don't rapid charge a new vehicle too soon.
I saw you mentioned a battery heater? Is that a setting in the car that helps in these sub zero temps? - sorry bit of a newbie with the MG
Ignore the GOM, it's a rather meaningless guess based on a clunky algorithm. Your actual range will vary depending on many factors.

At today's cold temperatures, with the heating and everything else on, I would say that 190 is probably as much as you'll get from it if using the motorway.

To see a GOM figure that doesn't take into account your previous driving, reset the trip meters. Although I wouldn't plan for more milage until the weather warms up 👍🏻

Also worth noting the battery heater will decrease your range but will allow a rapid charger to charge the battery faster when it's really cold. Shouldn't really effect your home charger rate and is unlikely to help from what people have said here before.

The GOM shows an estimate based on your previous driving, if you reset the trip meters for current and overall trip it will show an increased range (use the up down arrows on RHS of steering wheel to reset them)

At today's cold temperatures, with the heating and everything else on, I would say that 190 is probably as much as you'll get from it if using the motorway.

To see a GOM figure that doesn't take into account your previous driving, reset the trip meters. Although I wouldn't plan for more milage until the weather warms up 👍🏻

Also worth noting the battery heater will decrease your range but will allow a rapid charger to charge the battery faster when it's really cold. Shouldn't really effect your home charger rate and is unlikely to help from what people have said here before.
Thanks for that, reassuring to hear about the range and thanks for the trip reset tip!👍🏻

The GOM shows an estimate based on your previous driving, if you reset the trip meters for current and overall trip it will show an increased range (use the up down arrows on RHS of steering wheel to reset them)
Thanks for the reset tip

I have a Zero electric motorcycle, which gives me an estimated range based in my last usage. This can change quite dramatically depending, among other factors the speed at which you drive.
The one time it showed 94 miles but after covering about 15 miles pootling around the country lanes it went up to 142! Conversely hammering down the motorway at more or less legal speeds on another occasion the estimated range went from 90ish to 70 in very short order! I've had it at 0% battery but showing 4 miles range so there is some leeway.
I'm sure you'll get used to it's foibles. (they're in the boot😅)Enjoy.

I have installed a 5kw log burner in the back of my mg5. Cut out a hole in the roof for a 5 inch flu. I think it's within regulations. Lovely on a cold winters' morning if you don't mind the smell of burning plastic. The trick is to use nice dry wood. On really really cold mornings I pre heat the car by chucking a molotof cocktail through the windscreen. Nice and toasty in less than 15 seconds!

I have installed a 5kw log burner in the back of my mg5. Cut out a hole in the roof for a 5 inch flu. I think it's within regulations. Lovely on a cold winters' morning if you don't mind the smell of burning plastic. The trick is to use nice dry wood. On really really cold mornings I pre heat the car by chucking a molotof cocktail through the windscreen. Nice and toasty in less than 15 seconds!
Reminds me of an episode to Top Gear 🤣

Burning logs? Not exactly environmentally friendly although it’s not a fossil fuel. Have you experimented with covering the entire surface of your MG5 with solar panels to generate enough power to operate a solar heater?

Burning logs? Not exactly environmentally friendly although it’s not a fossil fuel. Have you experimented with covering the entire surface of your MG5 with solar panels to generate enough power to operate a solar heater?
I have indeed done that. Bit disappointed this morning with it's performance though. It was frosty and dark at 7am. Got really really really cold. Woke up in A&E covered in baco foil. So a good result after all.

I have indeed done that. Bit disappointed this morning with it's performance though. It was frosty and dark at 7am. Got really really really cold. Woke up in A&E covered in baco foil. So a good result after all.
Woke up in A&E covered in Bacofoil? You ended up well and truly basted, I suppose?

Hi again gents.

I carried out my 'cunning' plan and came to these results.

Starting at 5.30 am and -4c I managed 265 miles from 123% charge, the day was mainly below zero only raising to 4c in the afternoon. This works out to 215miles per 100% charge which was more than okay considering the ambient temperature.

The journey was M5, M4 mainly +A roads and included diversions to Stroud and Worcester, thus about 80%+ fast going. I did limit myself to 60mph excepting for a few overtakes for 'lorry blocks' and may be a little more at the end of the day.

The heater was set to 22c all the time except for 3-4minutes initial pre-heat/de-frost.

I conclude that the battery heater used as a pre-conditioner doesn't seem to work. At the beginning of the trip it took ages for the readout to creep above 3mi/kwh and it eventually finished at 3.7mi/kwh.

If you want to optimise cold range keep the speed down and get an insulated garage.

Hi again gents.

I carried out my 'cunning' plan and came to these results.

Starting at 5.30 am and -4c I managed 265 miles from 123% charge, the day was mainly below zero only raising to 4c in the afternoon. This works out to 215miles per 100% charge which was more than okay considering the ambient temperature.

The journey was M5, M4 mainly +A roads and included diversions to Stroud and Worcester, thus about 80%+ fast going. I did limit myself to 60mph excepting for a few overtakes for 'lorry blocks' and may be a little more at the end of the day.

The heater was set to 22c all the time except for 3-4minutes initial pre-heat/de-frost.

I conclude that the battery heater used as a pre-conditioner doesn't seem to work. At the beginning of the trip it took ages for the readout to creep above 3mi/kwh and it eventually finished at 3.7mi/kwh.

If you want to optimise cold range keep the speed down and get an insulated garage.
And how did you manage to get a 123% charge?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom