Maximum charge rate

Mrsensible

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I recently took my pre facelift March 22 plate MG5 for its first service and asked them to ensure its at the latest levels of sorftware etc for the latest public chargers. I was told that 50kw chargers are the maximum I can use. Is this really true ?? so all the 150kw chargers being rolled out I cannot use ?

The rate of charge is controlled by the car not the charger, so you should be ok with the 150Kw chargers, but only charge with the max. allowed by your car.

I recently took my pre facelift March 22 plate MG5 for its first service and asked them to ensure its at the latest levels of sorftware etc for the latest public chargers. I was told that 50kw chargers are the maximum I can use. Is this really true ?? so all the 150kw chargers being rolled out I cannot use ?
I'm afraid, as is the case amongst a lot of MG service providers, they aren't the most knowledgable. I've used the 350Kw chargers at Moto Rugby with no problems, charging at 73Kw, more than once.... As said above by DBedford, the car controls the charge rate.

You can use any CCS charger, if it's higher than 80kw? you won't get the full benefit but nothing stopping you using it at the max your car can take.

Thanks for replies. I realise the car will determine the actual charge rate but was concerned that these super fast chargers will cause an issue. Glad to know the 350kw chargers at Rugby worked anyway.

Thanks for replies. I realise the car will determine the actual charge rate but was concerned that these super fast chargers will cause an issue. Glad to know the 350kw chargers at Rugby worked anyway.
I understand the thought, but it's a bit like plugging a phone charger into a wall socket. The socket can deliver 13amps, could power a kettle or power tools, but plugging something less powerful like your phone to charge isn't a problem.

Should work fine on the higher power chargers, I've had the odd system fault caused by a bad handshake though (leave the car off for 5-10mins or pull the 12v power to reset). I've also had a supposed 350KW gridserve charger only give me 31Kw.

Fatest i've seen was slightly north of 80KW from an Ionity charger, which I think is about where the MG5 tops out (someone did get nearly 95KW but I think that was on a facelifted MG5)

Should work fine on the higher power chargers, I've had the odd system fault caused by a bad handshake though (leave the car off for 5-10mins or pull the 12v power to reset). I've also had a supposed 350KW gridserve charger only give me 31Kw.

Fatest i've seen was slightly north of 80KW from an Ionity charger, which I think is about where the MG5 tops out (someone did get nearly 95KW but I think that was on a facelifted MG5)
I got 93kW on a pre-facelift.

Apologies to all those who are saying that they've got in excess of 50kw, but pre face-lift MG5 will only allow it to charge at 50kw. I think you're being hoodwinked 🤭

20230520_083203.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom