Media files and album cover art

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

Just thought I'd share the results of some media tests I've been doing.

Videos: MP4, AVI and MKV all seem to work. I was pleasantly surprised that MKV did, and I've not found anything that the infotainment centre hasn't liked.

Audio: MP3 and FLAC both work fine (again, FLAC was a pleasant surprise).

I found album art was a bit hit and miss, and after messing about putting jpegs of various names and sizes into folders without success, I discovered that MP3s (and FLACs) can have them embedded, and that's what the audio player picks up.

If you need to add album art (I realise it's not necessary in the slightest!) then you can add it to existing MP3 or FLAC files with MP3Tag.

I also found this link which is a powershell script to automate the process. It didn't like my files though, so I did them manually with mp3tag. If/when I get chance I'll see if I can fix the script or write a new one. Because, automation :ROFLMAO:

I am trying with a USB stick for the first time. Freshly ripped mp3 files using Windows media player. Interface on mg5 seems basic. Just showing like a file system. Never any album art against folders or when playing songs. Where does the album art appear on the mg5?

Only ripped 4 cd's so far. Want to get it right before committing to the whole lot.

Does anybody have a photo they can share showing the difference on mg5 with album art?

OK, I can see it in the player view now. Not when browsing albums. All of that just shows blank folders and files. Also can't see it from main screen where nav, android auto, etc. are being shown.

Shame in the player view that the pause button is right in the middle of the album art.

Not impressed so far by mp3tag. Might try another ripping tool that tags and saves album art in files when ripping. Windows media player doesn't seem to do that.

The infotainment system really struggled to navigate and show all the folders but my 64gb USB stick was bursting with MP3’s.

OK, I can see it in the player view now. Not when browsing albums. All of that just shows blank folders and files. Also can't see it from main screen where nav, android auto, etc. are being shown.

Shame in the player view that the pause button is right in the middle of the album art.

Not impressed so far by mp3tag. Might try another ripping tool that tags and saves album art in files when ripping. Windows media player doesn't seem to do that.
I use an MP3 ripper called CDEX and its a great programme on my Win10 PC, it allow you to auto collect track/album etc info and also allows download of chart.

Finally found a combination that I think works on windows. Rip in Windows media player, then update album info in groove music (a new one to me but comes with Windows 10).

i stopped using the usb media player when i found it had a 5000 file limit (arbitrarily) so now i use Android Auto.
i only mention as a cautionary tail incase you invest a lot of time setting up a USB stick only to find it goes to half way down your folder list!
Thanks. I have recorded around 1000. If I get close to 5000 I will get another stick. Very much doubt it though as I am not buying more cd's.... Unless I find a stack at a car boot sale.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom