MG 4, 2 gears? 🤔

KaloyanP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have been wondering whether MG4 has 2 gears based on Johnny Smith's review where he says that it feels like it changes gears at around 40 mph and then there is this snippet, please see the attached file. I am not an expert by any means, just if someone knows anything it will be great to find out if this this is the case. I would imagine if there is a second gear the efficiency in high speed will be pretty good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912_203612_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912_203612_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I doubt it. MG would've advertised this (like they do on the Marvel R) and I would have expected a much better WLTP range and/or much higher top speed.

In fact, as a German (Autobahn and all), I'm pretty bummed that the MG4 tops out a 100mph / 160km/h, while the (on paper) less powerful ZSEV does 175, the MG5 does 185 and the Marvel R 200km/h .

I was all set on ordering the MG4 when orders open tomorrow morning, but this is one of the things that has me second guessing if I should be spending 9k more on a Marvel R instead.

I have experienced the German autobahn recently with my last EV Kia eNiro, it was really nice driving without speed. Back to the MG4, I have placed an order for the trophy trim regardless and because it is going to be my 4th EV I would like to find out everything about this car. For example I couldn't find what the drag coefficient is and also the charging curve, I know it peaks at 135 kWh but how long it maintains this charging spread for?

I wonder if it's the electronics simulating what Johnny felt? It's possible to build in a change of output at a certain speed/throttle input without the actual need for a second gear.

It is very unlikely since only high end cars like Tycan's have 2 gears but I just got curious.

I have experienced the German autobahn recently with my last EV Kia eNiro, it was really nice driving without speed. Back to the MG4, I have placed an order for the trophy trim regardless and because it is going to be my 4th EV I would like to find out everything about this car. For example I couldn't find what the drag coefficient is and also the charging curve, I know it peaks at 135 kWh but how long it maintains this charging spread for?
Based on quoted 10 - 80% time of 35 mins on a 150kW charger, the average charge speed works out to be 74kW. Based on this fact I would hazard a guess, the peak does not stay for long maybe between 10-20%?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very unlikely since only high end cars like Tycan's have 2 gears but I just got curious.

Even the Taycan only uses it on some models and on the front axle only.

I wonder if it's the electronics simulating what Johnny felt? It's possible to build in a change of output at a certain speed/throttle input without the actual need for a second gear.

I suspect that it was a fault rather than a deliberate feature. Having a change in the torque available is understandable but having that manifest itself as a hesitation doesn't sound right. Mind you, other cars are now built with false features (BMW i8 with external engine noise speakers to hide the 3 cylinder as a 8 cylinder comes to mind and a large number of sports hatchbacks with false internal engine noise) so anything is possible.

I doubt it. MG would've advertised this (like they do on the Marvel R) and I would have expected a much better WLTP range and/or much higher top speed.
Interestingly, when we had the Marvel R we never could feel the second gear kick in, the change was imperceptable so I'd be surprised if, even if the MG4 did have 2 gears (unlikely) one would feel it select the second.

I have been wondering whether MG4 has 2 gears based on Johnny Smith's review where he says that it feels like it changes gears at around 40 mph
I'd say that 40 mi/h is about the start of field weakening. If they don't get the firmware just right, you would presumably be able to feel it. Getting that torque control just right is something that Nissan do very well, and possibly SAIC (or the third party writing the motor controller firmware) may take a while to get just right.

Is this unique only for MG4, I haven't driven ZS EV but I had MG5 and did 15K miles on it and never felt something like it.

If he had it in ECO, the second half of the pedal map is quite steep, which can feel like sudden acceleration.
Pedal map.png

The report was that it was at a particular speed when accelerating hard, so regardless of mode I'd suggest that the pedal was already fully open.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back