MG 4 charge door latch not working when it’s cold

NickT

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi we've had our MG 4 for just over a month now. Since the temperatures dipped below freezing our charge door will not close on its latch after charging. It will lock, so can hold it in and then lock the car. Then if unlock the car it will pop open. If noone is about to close it manually before driving off I have to drive with it open until it warms up, when the latch will then work again. I’m assuming this is cold related rather than mechanical failure as it does work later. Anyone else having this issue? Where we are in Scotland it will be below zero most nights through to March, so this will be annoying! I may buy a charger plug cover to see if this helps, if this is a fundamental design issue. Viewpoints would be appreciated, thanks!

I've got a small tub of plumber's silicon grease and using a small paintbrush I smear it around both parts of the catch and inside of the terminals of the car and my Zappi to keep the moisture out.

I also rub the door seals with Nextzett rubber care stick to stop the doors freezing shut.

The only thing I forgot was to use bit of silicon spray on the door button so I'm having to use the key fob until they defrost.

Not had issue with the MG yet but the exact same thing happened on my Peugeot e-2008, the dealer did slap some grease around the pin when it went in and it was better for the rest of that winter but froze again the next winter. Think its just one of them things.

Does the MG warn you if charger door is open or does it just let it happen and not irritate you.

One of the first things I did last winter was smother the catch and around the flap seal with petroleum jelly. Never had a problem so far. (Must remember to do it again now it's getting cold).
I’ll give it a try

I believe it does.
Yes it warns you. Fortunately the audible warning stops after a short while. But no checking your tire pressure due to the warning message

Last edited:
No it warns you. Fortunately the audible warning stops after a short while. But no checking your tire pressure due to the warning message
I was responding to the post immediately before mine. I even quoted it. And you've said exactly what I did, so I don't know why you've said "No". (Perhaps I should have highlighted the first part of the quote)

Hi we've had our MG 4 for just over a month now. Since the temperatures dipped below freezing our charge door will not close on its latch after charging. It will lock, so can hold it in and then lock the car. Then if unlock the car it will pop open. If noone is about to close it manually before driving off I have to drive with it open until it warms up, when the latch will then work again. I’m assuming this is cold related rather than mechanical failure as it does work later. Anyone else having this issue? Where we are in Scotland it will be below zero most nights through to March, so this will be annoying! I may buy a charger plug cover to see if this helps, if this is a fundamental design issue. Viewpoints would be appreciated, thanks!
Thanks for all the replies. Good to know I’m not alone! I will try the silicone option and also get a charger cover. -7°C last night and still -5° as I write this. Flap won’t close 🙄 I think car manufacturers need to move away from this imitation copy of a fuel flap approach and design something a little more robust as a standard. Thanks again all 😊

-5 today and we had this problem. We tried warm water then the hair dryer ( luckily we only have a 3 pin socket to granny charge from so could plug in easily.) in the end we drove for an hour and then it worked. To avoid spray etc getting in the works we wrapped a clean dry rag round the wiggly wee cord inside the compartment.

Not had issue with the MG yet but the exact same thing happened on my Peugeot e-2008, the dealer did slap some grease around the pin when it went in and it was better for the rest of that winter but froze again the next winter. Think its just one of them things.

Does the MG warn you if charger door is open or does it just let it happen and not irritate you.
It replaces the trip counter and fuel economy readout in front of the driver with a picture of a car with its charging door open and written explanation then beeps at you for a while too. Eventually goes quiet.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know I’m not alone! I will try the silicone option and also get a charger cover. -7°C last night and still -5° as I write this. Flap won’t close 🙄 I think car manufacturers need to move away from this imitation copy of a fuel flap approach and design something a little more robust as a standard. Thanks again all 😊
So I bought some silicon grease off Amazon (see picture) and sprayed it into and onto the charger door latches and this seems to have worked. Also bought a magnetic charger cover which looks really neat and I'm hoping this will limit water getting in and then freezing, at least a little. We'll see come the next freeze 🤞. Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 50

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member